Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi there! Just now, I try to install gentoo on another machine, but failed at grub installation. My situation just like on the following site: GentooX61 - brunos personal wiki ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo grub installation problem

hi there!

Just now, I try to install gentoo on another machine, but failed at grub installation. My situation just like on the following site:
    GentooX61 - brunos personal wiki

I cannot understand how they solved this,

From their statement,
    i started the install process again, from within a kubuntu install i had already on an external HD and this time i didn't have a problem with grub!
    my question is, how to install from another partition? I only has notebook and 2 thumbdrive for now.
    but took the the pre 2008 release stage3
    And why they took the pre 2008 release stage3? Is it necessary?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Follow the "Installing GRUB" section of the Gentoo Handbook.

Unless you know what you are doing... ALWAYS use the handbook on a Gentoo installation.

Just Joined!
    I still can't success even after trying the grub installation part in gentoo handbook.

My latest output was the following,
    GLI: October 25 2008 00:58:23 - Emerged the selected bootloader.
    GLI: October 25 2008 00:58:25 - Output of Kernel Names:
    ls: cannot access /mnt/gentoo/boot/kernel-*: No such file or directory

GLI: October 25 2008 00:58:25 - Exception received during 'Configuring and installing bootloader': BootloaderError :FATAL: _configure_grub: Error listing the kernels in /boot
    GLI: October 25 2008 00:58:25 - Traceback (most recent call last):
    GLI: October 25 2008 00:58:25 - File "/opt/installer/GLIClientController.py", line 122, in run
    func()
    GLI: October 25 2008 00:58:25 - File "/opt/installer/templates/x86ArchitectureTemplate.py", line 46, in install_bootloader
    self._configure_grub()
    GLI: October 25 2008 00:58:25 - File "/opt/installer/templates/x86ArchitectureTemplate.py", line 61, in _configure_grub
    raise GLIException("BootloaderError", 'fatal', '_configure_grub', "Error listing the kernels in /boot")
    GLI: October 25 2008 00:58:25 - GLIException: BootloaderError :FATAL: _configure_grub: Error listing the kernels in /boot
    I try install gentoo on my vmware server, it was successfull, does I have to wipe all my harddisk to install this linux? Currently, I have vista partition and also the recovery partition on laptop.

I doubt you need to wipe the hard drive ... previous versions of Gentoo have played nice with Windows
    It looks as though the page you linked to could not get the pre-release live CD to work, so used an existing Linux to install from.
    How are you doing the install ... do you have an existing Linux installed you are using? are you using a Gentoo CD? or another live CD?
    What command did you type before you got the output you listed above?

Just Joined!
    Yes, I also think the same idea, wipe out the hard drive.. But there is still my recovery partition for vista in there.

Actually, I already install ubuntu, but I am gonna try gentoo and removing ubuntu partition. Then I used gentoo live cd for the installation procedure. I am not used any command, the output is in the /var/log/messages/install.log.messages(can't remember the exact location for this file)

Wondering if your problem is something like this

I suggest you try using the Ubuntu install or live CD to install from rather than the Gentoo live CD ...

Just Joined!
    Yes, I think the error is just like the link that you post, almost similar.

By the way, how to install from ubuntu live cd? Can you guide me?
    I try to follow this link
    The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO ? Gentoo Linux Documentation

but I don't how to start..

I try using ubuntu, after I create /mnt/gentoo, whats next? I don't know how to go to preparing disk step.

Thanks!

The last time I did an install from an Ubuntu live CD. I booted from the live CD and used Ubuntu partitioner tool to create the disk partitions I wanted. Then I opened a terminal and typed
    Code:
    sudo -s
    I think the /mnt folder existed so I did
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/gentoo
    then continued from just above section 4e of the handbook ... set swapon and then mounted the partitions. The only bits that did not work were net-setup and mirrorselect because they are not on the Ubuntu live CD. You can run through the install process and manually update entries instead of using mirrorselect.
    There are a couple of ways to do the install ... here is some more information ...
    The other thing to keep in mind is if you want to do a 64bit install you need a 64bit host or live CD to install from.

Just Joined!
    thanks jonathan183,

I think I get the idea about the partitioning step. After that what I am supposed to do?
    In part 5 of the handbook, 5. Installing the Gentoo Installation Files,
    it stated that I have to download from the internet. Is there any chance to install the gentoo by avoid that since my broadband internet was super slow at home.

can i use thumbdrive to save the tarball? then umount it? is that possible?

Yes you can download tarball to thumbdrive and then transfer to your system to set things up. Your problem is going to be when you want to emerge things this usually requires net access. I have only setup Gentoo with a reasonable internet connection so can't really comment on how difficult/slow things will be with a slow net connection. You may want to look here as well.

Ed: you will probably find the Ubuntu CD will automatically mount the USB drive for you so you just need to know where it mounts it to ... run mount in a terminal and you can tell where the pendrive is mounted to ... likely to be something in /media like /media/disk or /media/sdb1 etc. Once you know where it is just cp the tar files to your /mnt/gentoo folder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast