Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey forum people's, I'm recently making the switch from windows xp to Gentoo Linux. I've done a little research on what Gentoo could offer me and I can say the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Finally it's done downloading!!!

Hey forum people's,
    I'm recently making the switch from windows xp to Gentoo Linux. I've done a little research on what Gentoo could offer me and I can say the least that what I saw was impressive. I'm just scared cause I don't want to mess up my brand new laptop. So should I dual boot this thing or just sending right to the hard drive? How about it!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Dual-booting is always a good option for new users, in my opinion. That way, if things don't work under Linux you can go into Windows to seek help.

In the end, it's a matter of personal choice, though.

Hope you have fun with Gentoo.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I was responding to your post:
    Finally it's done downloading!!!
    I wanted to say that many times too!

I would install Linux and not look back. To BSD or not to BSD?

If you are New to Linux, you better dual boot, or if you can burn a Laptop recovery CD/DVD for Windows, you can do that to before you do a full Gentoo install. Gentoo isn't for the novice Linux user used to running Windows. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Enthusiast
    I agree that Gentoo isn't for a novice. But if you follow the handbook carefully, you can get a successful install. My advice is simply not to get frustrated. It could take a little while to get it right, but once it's installed it all feels worth it

Oh and btw...
    What internet speed do you use?
    What are some of your computer specs?

Gentoo downloads *a lot* for it's installs, and it's installs can be lengthy - especially on older hardware

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience if you give Gentoo an honest effort and make sure to get a successful install

Good luck!