Find the answer to your Linux question:
Although the kernel seems to be set up correctly on my system, I have noticed that my cdrw (secondary master) is recognized on bootup as hdc and my cdrom (secondary ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with sony cdrw and Gentoo 2.6.9-rc1 kernel

Although the kernel seems to be set up correctly on my system, I have noticed that my cdrw (secondary master) is recognized on bootup as hdc and my cdrom (secondary slave) is hdd. I have always liked k3b and always works great - only when I view the devices in k3b's configure k3b under the settings menu, my cdrw is listed first with 'writes cd's' as NO and writes cdrw's as YES. Then is listed my cd-rom, but under 'writer' ... it is greyed out and blank - even if run as root.

The only distribution so far that I've tried that the cdrw works is suse, mandrake and red hat / fc2. But under Gentoo, i can not burn or even erase a cdrw.

I'm a newbie at this, but have learned a bit since working in linux. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how to get my burner to work?

Kernel configuration has scsi emulation set. Grub.conf has hdc=ide-scsi listed correctly.

The eject command works for both the cdrw as well as the cdrom.

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 symbolically linked to /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

/dev/cdroms/cdrom1 symbolically linked to ...
    /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd

I'm lost and trying to find additional information is not an easy task on how to get my cdrw to burn.

Can someone give me some guidance or help me troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Krystal

Linux Engineer
    withe the 2.6 kernel you do not need to use scsi emulation _at all_ so you can safely remove scsi from the kernel (unless you have scsi devs of course)