Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right now I have a computer with Windows Vista Ultimate installed; I want to triple boot with Gentoo64 and Ubuntu64. I have googled a lot but found no good answers. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How do I triple-boot Vista, Gentoo, and Ubuntu

Right now I have a computer with Windows Vista Ultimate installed; I want to triple boot with Gentoo64 and Ubuntu64. I have googled a lot but found no good answers. I plan on compiling Gentoo from source and leaving it in charge of the other OS's. I have never used Gentoo before, only Ubuntu. I really don't want to lose any of my Vista files and stuff.

If this question has already been answered elsewhere, could you please give a link?

Thanks in Advance, Suvrat.

Hi and Welcome !

Setting up multiboot is really easy. Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD, open GParted Partition Manager.
    Shrink existing partitions and create three new partitions.

* 512 MB -- SWAP
    * 8-10 GB -- ext3 for Ubuntu
    * 8-10 GB -- ext3 for Gentoo

Install Ubuntu first. Assign / mount point to first ext3 partition. Installer will detect SWAP and Windows Vista OS. It will setup dual boot itself.

Installer of all linux distros detect SWAP partition automatically and you can share single SWAP partition in all distros.

Install Gentoo in second ext3 partition. You have to create grub.conf file manually for multiboot setup in Gentoo. Check Gentoo Manual for that. If you have any problem during Gentoo installation, start a new thread here.

I would suggest you to install Ubuntu before Gentoo because its installer do the most of configuration itself.

In case you have any confusion in partition creation, post the output of sudo fdisk -l command here. Execute that command in Terminal of Ubuntu LiveCD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks you for your quick reply. I'll do this the moment the ISO's finish downloading.

One more quick question: From my experiences of dualbooting before, do I need the Ubuntu recovery and memtest things in the bootloader? Or can I just remove them. And how long does it take to compile Gentoo from source if I have 3ghz Core2Duo?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can remove both entries from GRUB Menu. Its easy to boot up in recovery mode and I don't think anyone uses memtest option frequently. I never used it atleast.

Your machine is pretty fast and I think it will take much less time, may be 2-3 hrs for setting up all necessary packages.

Just Joined!
    Thanks you very much for your help, devils casper. The installation process is going along smoothly.

Glad to help you !

A tip. Don't use gentoos dvd or cd disk. It will be just as good to do it from within ubuntu, and you dont have to download the whole disk, only 2 packages (not counting stuff you download with the package manager.) I've never done it from ubuntu before, but it worked for me doing it from within fedora, I can't immagine it being too different.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4