Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am relatively new to Linux in general but have been using Fedora Core 9 until now. I am trying to install Gentoo for the umptienth time. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

x11 problems with integrated graphics card

Hello,

I am relatively new to Linux in general but have been using Fedora Core 9 until now. I am trying to install Gentoo for the umptienth time. I have completed the minimal installation without much trouble, and my next goal is to get Fluxbox working.

I have a HP Pavilion dv6809wm, and it has an nvidia integrated graphics card. One of my questions is how much RAM to say my GPU has when I run xorgconfig. Even though I don't have any dedicated RAM, is it correct to put something non-zero?

I have spent much time trying different OS's. The only driver that has worked for me before is vesa; neither the "nv" nor "nvidia" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf have ever worked. (Similar stories with Fedora, Debian, FreeBSD, and Backtrack 3). However, when I run startx, I get a fatal error that no screens were found. Once I did manage to start it, but it took me to a weird terminal that was so big it went off the screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have spent so much time trying to get this to work!

Welcome to LinuxForums Lee!

I only have a few suggestions:

1.) I don't believe you have to have to put anything for the Video RAM variable.
    2.) Since it is specifying your screen not existing, make sure your screen section of xorg.conf is correct (post your graphics device and screen sections)
    3.) The one time your x actually started I think you got dumped to twm (tom's window manager I think is the acronym). Assuming you have fluxbox emerged, go into /etc/rc.conf

change the XSESSION variable (it's at the bottom of the file):
    XSESSION="fluxbox"

If none of these things work then it will be back to the drawing board.

Good luck
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.