Find the answer to your Linux question:
This question COULD have gone into the kernel forum, but I decided to put it into Gentoo since my problem may be more related to Gentoo, but I'm unsure. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Alsa / kernel configuration

This question COULD have gone into the kernel forum, but I decided to put it into Gentoo since my problem may be more related to Gentoo, but I'm unsure.

My problem,

I'm trying to get alsa working (actually just sound in general, I don't care what supplies it.) I have not gotten alsaconfig to recognize my card. I'm using the onboard soundcard supplied with my nvidia 790i ultra board. It works fine in fedora 9, so I know it's not an issue with no Linux support. Does anyone know exactly what kernel option I need to select for this driver? I looked at the alsa matrix thing, and selected the 2 found there (i think) but it did not recognize it. anyone know? thanks.

FYI, I know a fair amount of linux, but know nothing about the sound system, so you can give me in-depth answers and not scare me away, I just dont know how sound works

Oh well, opportunity to learn

edit:
    forgot to add this info

# lspci -v | grep -i audio
    00:0f.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

If you look in the alsa matrix under nvidia, I think you want the HDA one.

If you have been following the alsa documentation for your install then when you get to the HDA one click on detals/driver. According to the alsa guide the module you will want to use is:
    snd-card-hda-intel

If you just want to install the module, then change it in your kernel and enjoy. In my kernel (linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r it shows up as
    Device Drivers --->
    Sound --->
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture --->
    PCI devices --->
    < > Intel HD Audio (module name: SND_HDA_INTEL)

I hope that is what you are looking for, and I hope it works!
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

I believe that I tried that one, but it did not work immediately. Over this last weekend, I completely botched my install, and ruined my system (hey, if you can't break a few installs, how will you ever learn how it works ) My next weekend off from work, I intend to reinstall gentoo, and have another go. Thanks for the response sdimhoff.
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Did you compile all of the ALSA/sound modules as, err, modules? Not built in to the kernel? (should be an M beside the option in menuconfig not a * )

Using modules means you can use alsaconf, if they're compiled in you can't, and if you modularise the drivers, but not ALSA it self you'll be able to configure with alsaconf but sound won't work.

AH, that might have been it darkrose. I unfortunately botched my install (dont remember what I did, but it's fried) and am going to try again next week. I will remember to module them. Thanks

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4