Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm currently currently planning on installing Gentoo, using Stage 3 installation (without internet access). I'm installing Gentoo to get to know Linux better (my previous Linux version was VectorLinux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stage 3 Gentoo installation

Hi,
    I'm currently currently planning on installing Gentoo, using Stage 3 installation (without internet access).
    I'm installing Gentoo to get to know Linux better (my previous Linux version was VectorLinux -- A big difference), so I can give LFS a try.

Now, a question that is probably not often asked...
    Is it hard enough?
    I know installing Gentoo is complicated, but seeing as stage 3 includes prebuilt packages, I'm wondering if it's still that hard.

Any answers?

Linux User
    Follow the manual and everything should be fine, they cover everything. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Just Joined!
    Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    In fact, it's not more difficult to install gentoo if you start from a stage 1. But it will take a lot more time. If you look at it, going from stage 1 to stage 3 is just executing the bootstrap script and issuing an "emerge system".

The big difference between gentoo and lfs install is the way you obtain your base system :
    With gentoo, you just execute the bootstrap script, or you start with a stage 2 or 3. But with lfs, you will have to compile all of that by hand. But once you're there, you have to configure nearly everything by hand.

Also, gentoo has a great package management system (emerge - ebuild) that do not exist with lfs (AFAIK)

And for the question "Is it hard enough?", I want to say 'no!' :
    The gentoo web site has an awfull lot of documentions covering nearly all topics for a standard linux system. That's what makes it great!
    I don't think that with lfs, you will get all this stuff centralised in one place.

Anyway, both are great to learn and understand linux...

HTH
    Flupke

With LFS, you do get some great documentation. I don't know about a forum like the gentoo forums, but the LFS pdf is very detailed. I've pondered installing LFS, but installing Gentoo from stage1 is just much more appetizing. I think it would be more worth your time to tweak the hell out of your Gentoo install and learn all the inner-workings of Gentoo.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    What is LFS?

Just Joined!
    LFS is "Linux From Scratch".
    It is not really a distribution. It's more a set of documentations that explain how to download and compile each and every part of your linux system, starting from nothing (well, you only need a runnable linux system, but any live cd will do...). In fact, you don't install a linux from scratch. You create it...

HTH
    Flupke

Just Joined!

make.conf howto

hey, nice to meet u all here!

i'm newbie in play linux, and now i want to try gentoo. I install gentoo from stage 3 and without connection. what the deficult i meet is i dont know how to do the setting in the make.conf file. In genkernel part, i also dont know how to do the setting for the hardware. My pc is P4 HT and using SATA HD. thank you helping me.