Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Well, my point really was this thread is rather useless because the collection of USE flags in the make.conf do not reflect correctly USE flags in effect. Everyone can see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well, my point really was this thread is rather useless because the collection of USE flags in the make.conf do not reflect correctly USE flags in effect. Everyone can see it for him/herself just by comparing emerge --info output with USE flags in make.conf.
    But I guess this is too abstract, so this thread will hang here and symbolize misunderstanding of how Gentoo Portage works. Shame, actually, otherwise fine Linux forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Well, my point really was this thread is rather useless because the collection of USE flags in the make.conf do not reflect correctly USE flags in effect. Everyone can see it for him/herself just by comparing emerge --info output with USE flags in make.conf.
    OK ... if info is no longer useful to new users and likely to mislead then I agree - unsticky and close the thread.

I'll unsticky this thread and close it soon. I got a question though. How will new to Gentoo users (On this forum) learn about what you have explained to us?
    Hopefully Segfault will create a HOWTO for USE flags.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    if info is no longer useful to new users and likely to mislead
    Definition of required USE information for make.conf is not a problem, if I were just starting with Gentoo I would still appreciate this sort of information. It's much easier to play with a working system and experiment with different settings, tinker with something that works until I break it.

Gentoo docs cover relevant information for example:-
    see system administration for prelink guide etc
    Gentoo system documentation for use flags guide with profiles and info on global and local use flags, guides on portage etc

I don't think information in this thread is likely to mislead. I appreciate the fact that information in make.conf does not tell the full story and use emerge -av as Segfault has suggested if I want to know exactly what will be used for a particular emerge operation.

post #26 ... prompted me to look again at package.use information

post #38 ... which is why the thread was sticky in the first place

... if it helps new users leave it sticky ... if it does not then un-sticky it ...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I'll unsticky this thread and close it soon. I got a question though. How will new to Gentoo users (On this forum) learn about what you have explained to us?
    Hopefully Segfault will create a HOWTO for USE flags.
    Thanks for the idea, MikeTbob.
    Although I think it should not be limited to USE flags, it should be about setting up make.conf. Gentoo (and Linux in general) newcomers often try to skip stuff they don't understand. Variables and options set in make.conf are what makes Gentoo what it is - a meta-distribution, your very own Linux, built with great tools provided by Gentoo developers, but still your own Linux.
    OTOH, there is no point in duplicating what's in Handbook.
    Thus, writing such a HOWTO will consume some time and will require a good effort. Otherwise it won't be much value.

@Jonathan183,
    thanks for correcting me about that prelink guide. Gentoo documentation is live as is Gentoo itself. Last time I checked there was no prelinking guide.
    But that was just an example, I realize it wasn't a good one.
    The fact remains, Gentoo docs do not cover every aspect. And they often lag behind development. Not blaming anyone here, it just seems documentation has no highest priority. Which can be understood, what we are talking about here is generally regarded as a hacker's OS where most dedicated users go far beyond canonical use.

LOL now I know why I've always been a slave to pre-compiled packages... sub-optimal for custom setup back in 1998, I know, but... when I checked out Gentoo a few years back and got to the USE flags, being an inquisitive engineer I got so lost in the explanation and research for the "ultimate" set of flags, that it was days before I progressed in my install!
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

I started with a straight 10.0 profile and must have switch to desktop around a year ago ... when qt 4 use flags changed. I had not really gone back and reviewed things since. I have had a bit of a tidy up in make.conf which I have posted below. I'm keeping use information as is since it worked with the straight 10.0 profile, which I may go back to at some point in future.

I got a bit frustrated with Gentoo boot times (took twice as long as Funtoo on the same PC) so I migrated to OpenRC using info here I think - big improvement. I don't think I changed make.conf or use flags. I have a few package specific setting files in /etc/portage/package.use but I don't think any would be critical for an initial system build.

I was using the system to compile packages for a laptop with limited resources which is why I have comments about CFLAGS, devices and a couple of use flags which I have removed. I also experimented a bit with kde4 but now only use IceWM so those settings are no longer relevant for me (and probably don't match current kde4 requirements either).

Code:
    # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
    # built this stage.
    # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.

###
    # old flags changed 2 Sept 09 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
    # changed from CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe" to compile packages for laptop
    # added -fomit-frame-pointer Oct 09
    ###

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

# old value changed Oct 09 CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
    # Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

###
    # Reminder note - use flags in list below are for flags I specifically selected
    # either for use or exclusion. Profile selected also affects use flags.
    # Local use flags also set in /etc/portage/package.use
    # emerge --info will show global options
    # emerge -av package_name will show options applied for a package
    ###

### wanted flags
    USE="alsa branding cairo cdr clamav 
    dvd dvdr fam firefox flac gif gd gnutls hal ieee1394 imlib jpeg 
    mp3 mad nls ogg opengl pdf png qt4 raw ssl svg 
    spell spl symlink tiff truetype usb vorbis startup-notification 
    X xine "

### unwanted flags
    USE="$USE -esd -gnome -msn -xinerama -yahoo -kde"

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse"
    VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv"
    LINGUAS="en_GB"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.virginmedia.com/sites/gentoo http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo"
    SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage/"
    ### old sync info SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

# configure features 25 Aug 09 added parallel-fetch userfetch
    FEATURES="parallel-fetch userfetch"

# increase clean delay from default 5 seconds to 30 seconds
    CLEAN_DELAY="30"

# resync show progress of bar for each file
    PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--progress"

# added accept license - 5 Feb 2010
    ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

###
    # added svg 26 May 09 required for -avuDN world
    # temporary addition mad
    # added webkit mysql for kde4.2 install
    # removed 13 Feb 2010 items added for laptop in line below
    # added neomagic to devices and pcmcia oss xscreensaver for laptop packages
    # use flag multislot added for grub2 21 May 2010
    # use gd added 22 August 2010
    # use gnutls added 11 September 2010
    # removed arts audio qt3 26 Sept 10 and added reminder note
    ###

##################################################
    ### temp addition for distcc
    #MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    ###add to FEATURES="distcc" for distcc compiles
    ##################################################
    Ed: just spotted multislot missing in make.conf - that because I put
    Code:
    sys-boot/grub multislot
    in /etc/portage/package.use/grub instead.
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 09-26-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7