Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
I think it could be useful for new Gentoo users to have USE flag combinations that others use/know work. On a few early Gentoo installs I ran into trouble with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What combination of USE flags work for you ?

I think it could be useful for new Gentoo users to have USE flag combinations that others use/know work. On a few early Gentoo installs I ran into trouble with the default USE flags ... which forced me to try other combinations to get the system up and running.

My last build (on an Acer Laptop) has the following make.conf file
    Code:
    # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
    # built this stage.
    # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.

#next lines original file entries
    #CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
    #CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"

#next line replacement for above
    CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

#next line added to optimise for dual processors
    MAKEOPTS="-j3"

# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
    # Please consult Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Changing the CHOST variable before changing.
    CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
    # These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
    # profile used for building.

#next line original file entry
    #USE="mmx sse sse2"

#next line replacement for above - added symlink for kernel symlink auto update
    USE="X alsa cairo cdr clamav dvd firefox ieee1394 kde opengl qt4 qt3 xine symlink esd gnome imlib minimal nls spell truetype xinerama"
    #USE = “X alsa cairo cdr clamav dvd firefox ieee1394 kde opengl qt4 qt3 xine”
    # added esd gnome imlib minimal nls spell truetype xinerama for IceWM install

#next lines added to allow portage to function until mirrorselect can be emerged
    #GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.virginmedia.com/sites/gentoo"
    SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
    So what USE flags work for you ?

My current make.conf:

Code:
    CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
    CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
    CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
    MAKEOPTS="-j9 -l8"
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
    FEATURES="buildpkg parallel-fetch fixpackages -userfetch"
    PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/quad"
    PKGDIR="/usr/local/portage/packages"
    DISTDIR="/usr/local/portage/distfiles"
    RPMDIR="/usr/local/portage/rpm"
    PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
    VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv v4l vesa"
    INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
    ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
    LINGUAS="en en_US"
    USE="
    # A
    acpi addressbook alsa applet -arts avahi
    # B
    bluetooth branding browserplugin bzip2
    # C
    cairo calendar camera cdaudio cdda cddb cdr cdrkit crypt css cups curl
    # D
    dbus designer-plugin dga dhcp dhcpcd disk-partition divx dvd dvdr dvdread
    # E
    eac3 eds emovix encode esd extrafilters exif
    # F
    fam fax fbcondecor ffmpeg flac fuse
    # G
    gdl gedit geolocation gif git glitz gnome gpg gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk guile
    # H
    hal hddtemp htmlhandbook hvm
    # I
    ieee1394 imagemagick inotify -ipv6 irc
    # J
    java javascript jpeg jpeg2k
    # K
    -kde
    # L
    lame lm_sensors libburn libnotify
    # M
    mad matroska messenger mjpeg mmx mmxext mp3 mp4 mp3tunes mpeg mplayer msn mtp multilib musepack musicbrainz mysql mysqli
    # N
    nautilus network networking newspr nfs npp nptl nptlonly nvidia nsplugin
    # O
    offensive opengl ogg oss
    # P
    pdf php plasma plugins png ppds pulseaudio
    # Q
    qt3 qt4 quicktime
    # R
    rdesktop real realmedia ruby
    # S
    samba sdl smp sms sndfile spell sse sse2 ssse3 startup-notification subversion svg svn
    # T
    taglib tagwriting theora tiff tools totem transparency truetype type1
    # U
    usb
    # V
    v4l v4l2 vcd vnc visualization vorbis
    # W
    wav wavpack webkit wifi win32codecs wma wmf wmp
    # X
    X x264 xcomposite xine xinerama xml xorg xscreensaver xulrunner xv xvid
    # Y
    yahoo
    # Z
    zeroconf zip"
    source /usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf
    It should be noted that I run the "Funtoo" variant (Daniel Robbins portage tree) and I usually make my own make.conf by hand, and not even use the one provided by the build scripts.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Thanks for sharing gruven ... thats quite a USE flag string ...
    Funtoo but I think I'd better stick with stable ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Thanks for sharing gruven ... thats quite a USE flag string ...
    Funtoo but I think I'd better stick with stable ...
    Yeah, my use flags are backed up with every install I have ever had, and I am sure there are some that aren't needed anymore, but it hasn't caused any problems. I like to customize my builds as I see fit, and I have some in /etc/portage/package.use/files.

I also like to specify different directories for my distfiles, packages, etc... because I can switch between funtoo and portage easily as my mind sees fit (not just switch branches, but remove /usr/portage and download a new tarball and not lose anything.

I have been using Gentoo for quite a few years now, and I can handle the instability in funtoo, although it is actually quite stable.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

I use Gentoo also and my USE flags look quiet like those gruven uses with the exception of one two plus/minus flags. gruven, I like how you have split the use flags Alphabetically, it keeps everything nice and pretty. I think I'm going to use your idea because it makes sense too. Anything I should be aware of by using this method?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just make sure you comment out anything you don't plan on using as a use flag, and keep everything in the parenthesis like so: USE="everything goes here no matter what".

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Hi MikeTbob - any chance of posting the magic combination that works for you? ... maybe I've gone mad but I'm sure the original post had use as one long string ... I would have commented on the seperation as well if I had seen it ... the custom portage tree had not really crossed my mind - I probably would run separate root partitions and share user data . Maybe I'll get a bit more creative with the config when I'm more familiar with Gentoo ...

Hi MikeTbob - any chance of posting the magic combination that works for you? ... maybe I've gone mad but I'm sure the original post had use as one long string ... I would have commented on the seperation as well if I had seen it ... the custom portage tree had not really crossed my mind - I probably would run separate root partitions and share user data . Maybe I'll get a bit more creative with the config when I'm more familiar with Gentoo ...
    They weren't seperated before, I edited it to do that.

I usually keep the normal portage tree, layman trees, a funtoo tree, and my own local overlay, but this time I left out the regular portage tree and just went with the funtoo tree because it is being updated daily and I like the changes Daniel is making.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Hiya Jonathan, my use flags are on just one line as you mentioned but I edited it here so it wouldn't mess up the forum borders and width.

Code:
     CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    # This should not be changed unless you know exactly what you are doing.  You
    # should probably be using a different stage, instead.
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    USE="symlink 3dnow x86 acc acpi acl alsa apm arts asf avi avahi bitmap-fonts
    cddb cdparanoia cdr crypt cups dbus dvd eds encode ffmpeg firefox flac fortran
    f77 foomaticdb ftp gdbm gnome gphoto2 gif glitz gpm gstreamer gtk hal imlib 
    java jpeg kerberos kde ldap libg++ libwww lmsensors mad mailwrapper mbox 
    mcal mdnsresponder-compat mikmod mime mmx motif mp3 mpeg mplayer mysql 
    ncurses nls nsplugin nvidia oggvorbis opengl pam parport pdflib png ppds python 
    oav qt3 qt4 quicktime readline ruby samba sdl snmp spell ssl startup-notification 
    svga tcpd truetype type1 usb win32codecs yahoo X xcomposite xine xml xml2 
    xmms xcb xvid xv xvmc zeroconf zlib"
    INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
    VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
    ALSA_CARDS="intel"
    NOCOLOR="color=no"
    PORTDIR="/mnt/portage"
    DISTDIR="/mnt/portage/distfiles"
    PORT_LOGDIR="/var/log/portage"
    I just realized I use wayyyyy to many use flags and I haven't changed my CFLAGS or MAKEOPTS since before I purchased a new MOBO, which is a
    Code:
    cpu:0
              description: CPU
              product: Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5200  @ 2.50GHz
              vendor: Intel Corp.
              physical id: 4
              bus info: cpu@0
              version: 6.7.6
              serial: 0001-0676-0000-0000-0000-0000
              slot: CPU 1
              size: 2500MHz
              capacity: 2500MHz
              width: 64 bits
              clock: 200MHz
    . So MAKEOPTS="-j3" is better for dual CPU's?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    So MAKEOPTS="-j3" is better for dual CPU's?
    From the handbook section 5.d ...
    MAKEOPTS
    With MAKEOPTS you define how many parallel compilations should occur when you install a package. A good choice is the number of CPUs in your system plus one, but this guideline isn't always perfect.
    Thats why I set -j3 for my dualcore setup. But I guess its a guide. Gruven has quite different values ... I was going to ask but thought I'd do a bit more reading first

I'm sure last time I looked at USE flag list it was a bit shorted than this ... but I also remember reading somewhere about causing problems having too many USE flags. Which is why I was a bit suprised by the long string.

As you know Gentoo is not my main distro (so absolute optimisation is not my aim) ... I ran into trouble because the default flags didn't really work for me. I thought having some more combinations of things that work might help others (and me next time I get in trouble). Having said that I'm picking up some great tips along the way

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast