Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, So, I've been working on getting 3 OS's on my computer: Vista, Ubuntu and Gentoo. Vista was already installed, and Ubuntu did most of the work for me. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Adding new Gentoo installation to already-installed GRUB

Hi,
    So, I've been working on getting 3 OS's on my computer: Vista, Ubuntu and Gentoo. Vista was already installed, and Ubuntu did most of the work for me. I just got done installing Gentoo now. However, Ubuntu installed GRUB already, so now it appears that I need to go back and manually add Gentoo to the bootloader. I've looked at the Gentoo documentation for configuring the bootloader, but I've run into an obstacle: I'm not sure of what kernel image I have or of my initid image, if indeed I even need it. I installed Gentoo using the 2008.0 LiveCD (i686). I'm also confused about the "root hd(0,0)" stuff (I'm a bit of a noob), if someone wouldn't mind clearing that up as well.
    I can access the volume that I have Gentoo on using Ubuntu if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Linux User
    hd(0,0) is the first partition of the first hard disk (/dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1), just set it to what ever partition your gentoo root partition is - hd(0,2) for the 3rd partition of the first hard disk, etc.

For your kernel and possible initrd images, just look in /boot on you gentoo install, copy the names and paths.

You should end up with something like this in you /boot/grub/menu.lst on Ubuntu:
    Code:
    title Gentoo
    root hd(0,2)
    kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.27-11-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda3
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27-gentoo-r7
    That's off the top of my head, but should be about right for a gentoo install on /dev/sda3

Thanks for the reply! That worked perfectly for me. Much appreciated!