Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just upgraded to GNOME 2.8 and now whenever I start GDM and try to login it fails. Here is the .xsession-error output Code: /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

GDM Problem

I just upgraded to GNOME 2.8 and now whenever I start GDM and try to login it fails. Here is the .xsession-error output
    Code:
    /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
    /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "slip"
    /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
    /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

(gnome-session:5817): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    Any idea whats up? Also note that xdm works just fine.

Just Joined!
    Is gnome key ring running? or did you take that off? I would install all the necessary gnome files then leave the GDM for last...

Linux User
    What is GNOME Key Ring? All the GNOME files are installed just fine all in the order based on dependencies in the ebuild. I also ran revdep-rebuild a few times, which is part of the gentoolkit, that little tool scans the bins for the missing dependencies and recompiles to fix all the problems, it fixed some dependencie with gnome-vfs but I still can not login. Also if I do .xsession and put gnome-session and start it that way with XDM, it will just crash after logon with the same error.

Linux User
    I found out that Metacity is causing everything to crash, I downgraded to 2.6.x version and now everything works fine. Will wait for the new Metacity ebuilds, I was using 2.8.5.

Just Joined!

Potential solution

I'm on gentoo and was getting the same error. Oddly enough, I was able to log in as root just fine. Only user accounts seemed broken. I'd recently re-emerged xdm and the problem happened at my next restart. All I had to do was rm ~/.XAuthority.
    Chris