Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I do startx after installing gnome (and xerver &everything else needed), it gives me a bunch of jazz, one of which, it says gnome-session not found. I know it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Exec: gnome-session not found??? Gnome will not start.

When I do startx after installing gnome (and xerver &everything else needed), it gives me a bunch of jazz, one of which, it says gnome-session not found. I know it says exec gnome-session in the ~/.xinitrc file....

I dunno what to do. The Xserver worked before I installed gnome. I have a intel integrated graphics card. Um... I will have to boot it up into gentoo and find out what exactly is the problem, I guess.

Help?

Try doing this. Emerge the slocate package (if you haven't allready) and as root, run

updatedb

wait for it to finish, then run

locate -i gnome-session

that should tell you IF the package is installed, and where.
    If it comes back fine, log into your regular user, and run

which gnome-session
    if it comes back fine, you should be ok, and I dont know how to help you. If it is missing, you need to put that directory into your user's path.

mine came up being in /usr/bin/gnome-session so it was in my path by default.

post what you find.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!

failsafe session

I am using fedora8 i tried to change session from default to gnome session it showed a error "the gnome session manager was unable to lock the file 'home/root123/.ICEauthority'.please report this as a GNOME bug . sometimes this error may occur if the file's directory is unwritable ,you could try logging in via the failsafe session and ensuring that it is " i am new to linux can any one please tel wat to do now i am unable to boot into the system each time same msg comes if i try to login . can any one tel how to login in failsafe session.

If jimmy is your users name, you may be good after running

chown -R jimmy:jimmy ~jimmy

what this is doing, is to recursively (to all files and directories inside) change all to be owned by jimmy. the ~jimmy is "do this to jimmy's home directory". This should fix all permisions as far as write access. Beyond that, I couldn't help you.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4