Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys sorry for asking a newb question lol! I have Windows XP Pro and would like to dual boot it with Gentoo Linux..I really cant mess up my Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Want to Dual Boot Windows XP with Gentoo

Hey guys sorry for asking a newb question lol!

I have Windows XP Pro and would like to dual boot it with Gentoo Linux..I really cant mess up my Windows XP because have a lot of important data.

Could someone help me by telling me how I can install Gentoo from the Live CD..I am currently using Gentoo from the Live CD at the minute..have click on the Icon called "Gentoo Linux Installer (GTK+)" and need to make partition space but am not sure what format I have to choose to get it working?

Please if someone can help it would be gratefully appreciated

Hi and Welcome !

Is there any reason for using Gentoo only? Gentoo LiveCD Installer doesn't work properly most of the time and Gentoo is not a new user friendly distro. You should try Ubuntu, Fedora or OpenSuSe instead. Check this Poll on Fav Distro.

Create ext3 and SWAP partitions before starting installation of any Linux distro. You can create/shrink/remove partitions through GParted or PartedMagic LiveCDs easily. GParted is available in LiveCDs of Ubuntu and most of other distros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Is there any reason for using Gentoo only? Gentoo LiveCD Installer doesn't work properly most of the time and Gentoo is not a new user friendly distro. You should try Ubuntu, Fedora or OpenSuSe instead. Check this Poll on Fav Distro.

Create ext3 and SWAP partitions before starting installation of any Linux distro. You can create/shrink/remove partitions through GParted or PartedMagic LiveCDs easily. GParted is available in LiveCDs of Ubuntu and most of other distros.
    Hi and thank you for the Welcome

Have used Ubuntu before and am just about to install..Thank you for your advice Devil it is greatly appreciated. Glad that I Registered here many friendly people here willing to help and not criticize one another

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

No particular reason for Gentoo other than the GUI interface etc just wanted to see what Gentoo was like