Find the answer to your Linux question:
Now that I am beginning to populate my Gentoo system, I keep getting warnings from portage that "this package contains bad programming practice and may fail in random ways". Not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How seriously should I take these QA warnings?

Now that I am beginning to populate my Gentoo system, I keep getting warnings from portage that "this package contains bad programming practice and may fail in random ways". Not exactly what one wants to hear about one's software! Some of these packages come from impeccable sources too: glib was one of them and that's absolutely foundational: the whole gdk/gtk system is based on it. In fact, if I remember correctly, gtk also carries a health warning.

Does this mean that:
    a) the people at gnome.org are shoddy programmers?
    b) the people at gentoo.org are paranoid? or
    c) I've stumbled into the midst of a feud that no-one told me about?

My money is on the third option
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I've never used Gentoo, but the Portage Doc site has some info on these errors. Portage Documentation

Don't worry at all as long as it compiles.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Now that I am beginning to populate my Gentoo system, I keep getting warnings from portage that "this package contains bad programming practice and may fail in random ways". Not exactly what one wants to hear about one's software! Some of these packages come from impeccable sources too: glib was one of them and that's absolutely foundational: the whole gdk/gtk system is based on it. In fact, if I remember correctly, gtk also carries a health warning.

Does this mean that:
    a) the people at gnome.org are shoddy programmers?
    I wouldn't go that far as to say that, but yes: this QA (quality assurance) notices usually mean that someone upstream used some bad programming practice that can bring problems with stability or security, some of these can make your life a bit harder when you use things like SElinux.

Ideally there shouldn't be any of these on any package.