Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install Gentoo Linux. I want to know whether it can be installed on extended partition or it has to be installed on the primary partition. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help regarding partitions in Gentoo Linux.

I want to install Gentoo Linux.
    I want to know whether it can be installed on extended partition or it has to be installed on the primary partition.

I have around 15 GB space on extended partition. I have to install Fedora Core 2 on that partition also(full installation).
    I can strech that space in primary or extended partition.
    Only limitation is that i have only one HDD so no. of primary partitions are limited.

How much space Gentoo needs for a full installation or all stages?

Should i install FC2 first & then Gentoo or is it other way around?

Also how can i clear my MBR?

You can format your MBR (I believe) with the command fdisk mbr. I'm not sure on that, however.

As far as gentoo's space requirements: It really depends on what you intend to install. It can easily fit in a 3-5G partition (depending on how much space you want to leave yourself). I would suggest at least 5G for Gentoo so you don't have to worry about space later on.

May I ask why you are installing FC2 and Gentoo? Why not just go Gentoo?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    ThanX sarumont.

fdisk /mbr works.

Still I am seeking one answer. Can i install Gentoo on extended partition like Fedora Core 2 or it has to be installed on the primary partition like FreeBSD.

Someone told me about Gentoo. I visited their site & i found it interesting.
    I mainly use FC2. I want to try Gentoo & who knows maybe after sometime i may switch over completely to Gentoo.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    i believe all linux distros can install to an extended partition and don't need primary like FreeBSD. the worst thing that could happen is it just doesn't install.