Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by hazel Playing around with USE flags, I created at one point a package.use file for xorg with the minimal flag. I don't have a high-powered video card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Playing around with USE flags, I created at one point a package.use file for xorg with the minimal flag. I don't have a high-powered video card so I didn't see why I needed OpenGL and all that stuff. But xorg didn't update correctly with this configuration, so I deleted the file again.

The problem is that now my update keeps failing with the message:

* Checking for direct rendering capabilities ...
    * Messages for package
    x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.6.3-r1:

* ERROR: x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.6.3-r1 failed.
    * Call stack:
    * ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_unpack
    * environment, line 3008: Called x-modular_src_unpack
    * environment, line 3821: Called x-modular_dri_check
    * environment, line 3667: Called die
    * The specific snippet of code:
    * die "You must build x11-base/xorg-server with
    USE=-minimal.";
    * The die message:
    * You must build x11-base/xorg-server with USE=-minimal.
    You really don't want USE=-minimal. Here "minimal" really means minimal, as in "no dri, no ttf fonts, no nothing". This should only be used for embedded devices and only for very particular purposes. In other words: when you know what you are doing (TM). If you have no particular reason for using this flag then, by all means, never use it. And "I want a minimal slick thing light desktop" doesn't qualify as a valid reason. Don't worry, you are not the first who stumps on that same stone, it's a fairly common problem

This is in spite of using --newuse in the build. I've tried putting "-minimal" and "dri" in make.conf. I've tried using "-minimal" on the command line. It makes no difference. And of course my old X server is gone so at present I have no desktop (I'm posting this out of Debian).
    Most video drivers simply can't be compiled when you USE=-minimal, because then X simply lacks the mechanisms and hooks for these to even compile and work. This is nothing to worry about and no amount of work in the Gentoo side will make that ever work.

Thanks, guys. emerge -auvDN did it and re-emerged X too. But like Mike, I have all kinds of problems now including a dead mouse (eek!!). I already had INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" in my make.conf so that isn't the source of the problem. What happens is that X reports an "unrecognised symbol". in the mouse driver as shown here:

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
    dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so: undefined symbol:
    miPointerGetMotionEvents
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so

Either this is a bug or it's due to the driver mismatch reported above. I'll do a bit of googling, see if anyone else has reported this error. And I'll try the suggested solution for the mismatch.

Meanwhile I have compiled and installed a new kernel that came with the last update, and found that firefox has lost contact with the cairo library. So I guess I'll have to rebuild firefox! This all begins to look a bit too much like hard work and a waste of bandwidth to boot..
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Guru
    Thanks, guys. emerge -auvDN did it and re-emerged X too. But like Mike, I have all kinds of problems now including a dead mouse (eek!!). I already had INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" in my make.conf so that isn't the source of the problem. What happens is that X reports an "unrecognised symbol". in the mouse driver as shown here:

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
    dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so: undefined symbol:
    miPointerGetMotionEvents
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so

Either this is a bug or it's due to the driver mismatch reported above. I'll do a bit of googling, see if anyone else has reported this error. And I'll try the suggested solution for the mismatch.
    That's probably the cause, API mismatch. Recompiling the drivers should work, you can just re-emerge them:

Code:
    emerge --oneshot xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-evdev
    Meanwhile I have compiled and installed a new kernel that came with the last update, and found that firefox has lost contact with the cairo library. So I guess I'll have to rebuild firefox! This all begins to look a bit too much like hard work and a waste of bandwidth to boot..
    It can be a bit painful at first, but recompiling a package doesn't need to download it again, as long as you didn't delete if from your distfiles. The price of having the latest and greatest is that if you update a library like cairo, you might need to recompile everything that links to it. It's not a Gentoo thing.

There's a tool to easy that, it's called "revdep-rebuild" and it lives on the gentoolkit package. Just emerge gentoolkit, and remember to run "revdep-rebuild" each time you run emerge -auDvN world to update your whole system (or each time you update any important library).

You will probably want to rebuild your xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-evdev
    Code:
    emerge -av1 xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-keyboard
    since you have rebuild xorg without the minimal use flag.

Then, if it still doesn't work, then post up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and we will see if there is anything wrong with it.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    There's a tool to easy that, it's called "revdep-rebuild" and it lives on the gentoolkit package. Just emerge gentoolkit, and remember to run "revdep-rebuild" each time you run emerge -auDvN world to update your whole system (or each time you update any important library).
    I already do that religiously. But it didn't find anything to rebuild this time.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Guru
    I already do that religiously. But it didn't find anything to rebuild this time.
    Yeah, it's not perfect

It doesn't ever catch the X modules unfortunately. However it should catch regular libraries like cairo when it breaks...

Yippee! Got the mouse working (all but the wheel and I guess that just needs an extra line in xorg.conf), got firefox and I'm using it now to post this. I feel ever so much better.

The next thing is to get some decent x-fonts working. The ones I have now are so small, they're almost unreadable, especially to someone of my age. The xorg update messages warned that this would be a problem, so I'm going to have to do some reading; I guess the xorg wiki might be a good place to start. Maybe in the process I'll finally learn how fonts work. They're a sealed book to me at present.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    You really don't want USE=-minimal. Here "minimal" really means minimal, as in "no dri, no ttf fonts, no nothing". This should only be used for embedded devices and only for very particular purposes. In other words: when you know what you are doing (TM). If you have no particular reason for using this flag then, by all means, never use it. And "I want a minimal slick thing light desktop" doesn't qualify as a valid reason. Don't worry, you are not the first who stumps on that same stone, it's a fairly common problem
    I got the minimal flag from gentoo-wiki-IcemWM I have removed it from my use flags since.

Edit: btw I have tried
    Code:
    emerge -avuDN world
    emerge --depclean
    followed by
    Code:
    revdep-rebuild
    over the past few days and managed to kill gcc twice ... ended up using gcc-config and re-emerged gcc to get things working again (in both cases emerge gcc did not work without running gcc-config first).

Yippee! Got the mouse working (all but the wheel and I guess that just needs an extra line in xorg.conf), got firefox and I'm using it now to post this. I feel ever so much better.
    ... glad your nearly sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post

Edit: btw I have tried
    Code:
    emerge -avuDN world
    emerge --depclean
    followed by
    Code:
    revdep-rebuild
    over the past few days and managed to kill gcc twice ... ended up using gcc-config and re-emerged gcc to get things working again (in both cases emerge gcc did not work without running gcc-config first).

... glad your nearly sorted
    The wheel works too now. It was just a matter of changing the protocol from PS/2 to ExplorerPS/2. btw, I know I'm new here but I think you do revdep-rebuild first, then depclean. It seems logical because if you have a new library and you haven't rebuilt any programs against it, depclean might think it isn't required and get rid of it again.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Guru
    The wheel works too now. It was just a matter of changing the protocol from PS/2 to ExplorerPS/2. btw, I know I'm new here but I think you do revdep-rebuild first, then depclean. It seems logical because if you have a new library and you haven't rebuilt any programs against it, depclean might think it isn't required and get rid of it again.
    --depclean checks the dependency tree, not the ldd info (like revdep-rebuild does), so wether there are programs linked to a new lib yet or not doesn't make a difference. However if you depclean first and that uninstalls a few packages, then revdep-rebuild will run slightly faster since there will be a few less binaries to pick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast