Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by hazel I think you do revdep-rebuild first , then depclean. I got the impression from depclean section of man page for emerge that revdep-rebuild is used to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I think you do revdep-rebuild first, then depclean.
    I got the impression from depclean section of man page for emerge that revdep-rebuild is used to fix issues caused by depclean, and running emerge -uND world was recommended before emerge --depclean.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I got the impression from depclean section of man page for emerge that revdep-rebuild is used to fix issues caused by depclean
    This is another reason to run revdep-rebuild after --depclean, however this is very rarely an issue nowadays on a sane system. In a completely sane system, --depclean shouldn't report anything at all. And it's a good idea to run it after you emerge -C <somepackage>.

, and running emerge -uND world was recommended before emerge --depclean.
    It's not only recommended, but needed in some cases. To be able to fully resolve the dependency tree is a must before you can decide what is to be deleted. For this reason, --depclean will refuse to run unless your system dependencies are fully resolved. This can mean either of two things:

• you need to install additional packages, to fill the dependencies, this can be done package by package or with a global update as with emerge -auDvN world
    • you need to uninstall the package(s) whose dependencies are not fulfilled, that way the dependencies go away as well

What's the right solution depends on what do you want to do. If you want to uninstall a given package and after that you run --depclean then you might get some errors telling you that a given package that's still installed depends on the package you just uninstalled. In that case most likely the solution is to emerge -C all of them, and not to merge back again what you already unmerged.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3