Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have relatively little terminal experience but would like to get more. I want to use Gentoo because it is superior with USE flags, and I like it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing from minimal CD, with EXT4, and xfce - can I do it?

Hello all, I have relatively little terminal experience but would like to get more. I want to use Gentoo because it is superior with USE flags, and I like it's community. I already know the live CD doesn't work on my computer. I messed up my last attempt with the minimal CD - although I did make it pretty far. But I want to install with EXT4 - I understand that will take another distro to make the partition, but the current minimal CD should work? I also want to use XFCE because it is both fast and fully featured. The compositor is the best I've ever seen... So how hard will installing xfce be - can I just emerge it, and set it to autostart, then reboot? Is it more then one package? Is there a guide somewhere on how to do so?

Thanks.

For ext4, you will have to use a relatively new distro, such as Fedora 10 or 11, or the new Ubuntu 9.04. Basically, anything with a 2.6.28 kernel and up-to-date e2fsprogs.

Just boot into one of the livecds, and then install per the handbook starting at the partitioning.

Get ready though, Gentoo expects you to do EVERYTHING manually. You will have to configure everything yourself.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ah, thanks.

Linux Guru
    You can use any livecd. Or even another distro that's already installed. Just pick the handbook again and change "Gentoo minimal LiveCD" by whatever you want to use.