Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want the best distro and from what I've read people seem to like gentoo. It may be hard to install but after that it seems worth it. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ok I'm going to use gentoo as my first linux program

I want the best distro and from what I've read people seem to like gentoo. It may be hard to install but after that it seems worth it. I have a linux book to help me learn and I'm gonna download the install guide. Do I need any more guides after I install gentoo whats everything I need because I'm formatting my HD so I wont be able to go online. I do have a live cd of knoppix just in case. Dumb question I know but which do I download 1.4rc1 or x86

Edit: Ok I am downloading the pentium 4 2004.2 iso, I have a pentium 4 is that right? Also is the universal one works for all x86 cpu types

Just Joined!

Re: Ok I'm going to use gentoo as my first linux program

Quote Originally Posted by Rswave2k2
    I want the best distro and from what I've read people seem to like gentoo. It may be hard to install but after that it seems worth it. I have a linux book to help me learn and I'm gonna download the install guide. Do I need any more guides after I install gentoo whats everything I need because I'm formatting my HD so I wont be able to go online. I do have a live cd of knoppix just in case. Dumb question I know but which do I download 1.4rc1 or x86

Edit: Ok I am downloading the pentium 4 2004.2 iso, I have a pentium 4 is that right? Also is the universal one works for all x86 cpu types
    Hi,

its cool to start with Gentoo, but first print yourself out the install procedures from www.gentoo.org.
    You will have start the OS from the CDROM and will configure your network.
    Important is to have a fast Internet connection !!! 'Cause you are downloading a lot of source files which need to be compiled for your box, will take you a lot of time.
    Remember a good flatrate is primordial.

If you are new to Linux I would recommend Mandrake 10.1 which is
    downloadable in the Internet an poses far lesser problems, just to get the taste of it....

Kind regards,

winfried

Just Joined!

Re: Ok I'm going to use gentoo as my first linux program

Quote Originally Posted by Rswave2k2

It's a great gaming distro, everything what I have runs exept Loki Descent 3, where I guess I encounter a linux kernel header problem.

Following games do run on Gentoo 2.5GHZ Barton/ FX5200(128MB):

Doom3 with cedega multiplayer: YES
    Warcraft3 with cedega multiplayer: YES
    Zeus Master of Olympus with cedega ---
    Never Winter NightsDemo with cedega
    Baldurs Gate 2 with cedega
    Homeworld2 with cedega multiplayer: NO
    Crusader (Stronghold) wirh cedega multiplayer: NO
    Rune Loki Edition multiplayer: YES
    Heavy Gear 2 Loki multiplayer: YES
    Tribes Loki, multiplayer:YES
    ut2004 demo, multiplayer :YES

and I guess also many others.

Just Joined!
    What have I done I thought that gentoo would be to hard so I tried slackware. I installed it and everything but now I cant even get it to start I cant get xf86config to work. Disaster. I formatted too so I dont have windows. I am running knoppix live cd right now. I dont even know the basic commands to work without the gui. I shouldve just gotten a easier linux like fedora or madrake anyway I dont know what to do. Would I be able to download the mandrake iso and burn it with the knoppix live cd and burn it? Can I still learn how to do linux with mandrake or like does mandrake do everything for me because I wanna learn how to use Linux and stuff.

Linux Engineer
    To save you downloading you can install the knoppix system to hard disk and have yourself a working linux system.

Just type knoppix-installer from a terminal window and away you go!
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick response. I will do that. Then get fedora 4gb download . So then Ill format install Knoppix download fedora burn it reformat again then install fedora. Mandrake seems to want you to register to get it to come with kde.

Linux Engineer
    If you're set on gentoo then why install fedora?

A knoppix install will give you a debian based system, and configuring that will give you a lot more experience in setting up a penguin box than FC2 will. With that experience then move onto Gentoo.

My thoughts anyways.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks so far I like knoppix alot even though I havent actally tried others. Knoppix only needs 1 cd and fedora needs 4. It seems like since its so big itll install all these things I dont need and make my comp run slow after using it for a while. i got a decent comp
    p4 2.6gb 768ram. And with winXP it would still run slow at times. I want an OS that doesnt use all the cpu and ram just to have it run. I rather the cpus focus be put on applications running or whatever im doing. knoppix runs fast even from the cd. I dont see many knoppix only forums so thats why I was going to try and get a more popular distro. But anyway Ill stick with knoppix. Thanks for the help

Just Joined!
    Ok I got Knoppix running it took forever to figure how to partition and format but I got it working and installed. Now time to explore.