Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed gentoo successfully (? ) on my laptop. The system is working fine except for the GUI. I first installed gnome-light but it used to give the following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Problem with GNOME settings daemon

Hi,
    I installed gentoo successfully (? ) on my laptop. The system is working fine except for the GUI. I first installed gnome-light but it used to give the following error:
    Code:
    The panel encountered a problem whhile loading
    OAFIID: GNOME_MixerApplet

Do you want to delete this applet from your configuration?
    There would be choice to/not to do as per suggestion but both my keyboard and mouse would hang. I had to poweroff with power button and then boot back.

I also get the following error:
    Code:
    Error starting GNOME Settings Daemon

Some things like themes, sounds or background settings may not work properly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
    I then unmerged gnome-light and emerged gnome. Now the MixerApplet error has gone. But I still have the second error.

I tried in irc too and emerged many packages like 'gentoolkit'. Nothing has helped. What could be the problem? As a newbie I badly need GUI to further learn online. If you need the output of any command or contents of any files/logs please let me know.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Ok, here is the update.

I added the following lines to my xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
             Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
    EndSection
    It is from Arch wiki. There is an elaborate explanation regarding input hotplugging. I did not understand a bit. The same lines worked for Arch. So, just thought of trying it out. Now, my keyboard and mouse are not freezing.

But I still get the second error related to Gnome Setttings Daemon.

Hmm... Gentoo is not for the newbies for sure....

Anyway, here is another update. I was logging into CLI and from there I used to start GUI when needed. For no good reason, I changed inittab to boot into GUI, by default. Funny thing is, now there is no 'Gnome Settings Daemon' error that I was talking about. I'm wondering how the problem was related to starting X from terminal or from display manager.

As otherwise the problem is solved, I'm closing this thread. If any of you know the explanation please l let me know. If it is not possible to post in a 'solved' thread, you can pm me.