Find the answer to your Linux question:
I attempted to setup a new box with a Gentoo GRP install. I went with the 2.6.7 kernel. Everything went a-ok to the point where I was ready to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recovering from newbie abuse of emerge / nvidia-kernel fails

I attempted to setup a new box with a Gentoo GRP install. I went with the 2.6.7 kernel. Everything went a-ok to the point where I was ready to install a graphical environment.
    So I did these things:

# USE="bindist" emerge -k xorg-x11 gnome mozilla-firefox-bin openoffice-bin

This worked fine. I have an NVIDIA vid card so I then did.

# emerge nvidia-glx

and got a warning that xorg-x11 was blocking this from installing. I took a wild guess that maybe the nvidia kernel stuff wants xfree and not xorg, so I did this:

# emerge unmerge xorg-x11
    # USE="bindist" emerge xfree <-- this compiled from source anyhow, I guess no bin available?

This finished ok but had 30 config files in etc to update. They were all in the X11 area so I figure this was xfree stuff overwriting xorg stuff, and allowed them all to overwrite.

# emerge nvidia-glx <-- now this worked but...
    # modprobe nvidia-glx

I get an error that the nvidia module is in an invalid format.

So I'm guessing nvidia-kernel or nvidia-glx is broken for 2.6.7 (at least the version in the GRP)

My questions are whether I can get a working version of nvidia-kernel/glx on 2.6.7 and also if that version can work with my preference of xorg-x11 instead of xfree?

Thanks,
    Fran

Linux Engineer
    i had that problem recently with the nvidia-kernel package.. i upgraded my kernel to 2.6.8-gentoo-r5 (or whatever r? it's up to now in gentoo-dev-sources)... re-emerged nvidia-kernel and it installed fine.. so you may need to do this:
    Code:
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gentoo-dev-sources
    cd /usr/src
    rm ./linux
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.8-r?-gentoo /usr/src/linux &#40;or whatever the new source dir is called&#41;
    cd /usr/src/linux
    cp ../[list=1]/.config ./
    make menuconfig &#40;to check for updated options&#41;
    make
    make modules_install
    mount /boot &#40;if /boot is a separate partition on your system&#41;
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/name-you-want-for-kernel
    &#40;edit grub.conf at this point to add the new kernel&#41;
    emerge nvidia-kernel
    shutdown -r now
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr