Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm having this same problem and realized I hadn't emerged hotplug, so I did that. Still no luck. I still get the same message when it says Bringing eth0 via ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm having this same problem and realized I hadn't emerged hotplug, so I did that. Still no luck. I still get the same message when it says Bringing eth0 via dhcp and then the !! and "netmount" was not started. I also tried ifconfig eth0 up and it said eth0 was an unknown device. I did lsmod and nothing showed up in there either. Is there something that I'm missing as far as configuring the NIC?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by chromey
    I'm having this same problem and realized I hadn't emerged hotplug, so I did that. Still no luck. I still get the same message when it says Bringing eth0 via dhcp and then the !! and "netmount" was not started. I also tried ifconfig eth0 up and it said eth0 was an unknown device. I did lsmod and nothing showed up in there either. Is there something that I'm missing as far as configuring the NIC?
    Also thought I'd mention that when I boot off of the livecd it automatically picks it up without any problem at all. I'm trying to figure out what is causing the discrepancy here.

KFM
    Just Joined!
    Yeah, whenever I boot up the LiveCD I just: ' modprobe sis900 ' then ' dhcpcd eth0 ' and it works, but after I load up the environment upon reboot, not after chrooting, then I: ' modprobe sis900 ' then it says the module doesn't exist.

Just Joined!
    whenever I boot up the LiveCD I just: ' modprobe sis900 ' then ' dhcpcd eth0 ' and it works, but after I load up the environment upon reboot, not after chrooting, then I: ' modprobe sis900 ' then it says the module doesn't exist.
    Try looking on the live CD for the module ('cause obviously it's there), then looking for it on your gentoo installation. If you can find it on the CD you can probably copy the module over and use it.

I also tried ifconfig eth0 up and it said eth0 was an unknown device. I did lsmod and nothing showed up in there either. Is there something that I'm missing as far as configuring the NIC?
    Well it's probably not listing it as a module because if it fails to load the module, it won't appear in the list. If it can't detect the card, it can't load a module for it. It's starting to sound something went wrong during the installation or something but it's hard to tell. I'd ask over at the Gentoo forums in the Installing Linux forum - they'll probably know.

Just Joined!
    Oh yeah, and regarding netmount, check that it's running first of all. Type:

Code:
    rc-update -s
    That'll list all your running modules. If you emerged and rc-updated hotplug into the default level, it'll show up there as follows:

Code:
    hotplug |           default
    Look to see if netmount has default beside it - if it doesn't, issue a:

Code:
    rc-update add netmount default
    and hopefully that'll start it going.

Just Joined!
    Oh oh oh, and one last thing. Go over your /etc/conf.d/net file with a fine toothed comb. This exact problem happened to me today when I was installing Gentoo on a new system and it turned out my bash installation script I wrote was screwing up the creation of the net file. It was putting in "iface=eth0=" instead of "iface_eth0=" and that was stopping netmount from loading. Wacky stuff. Another thing you could try is issuing an "lsmod" from the livecd, looking to see what module it's loading for the nic, then see if it's loading it when you issue "lsmod" from the gentoo installation.

Just Joined!

Solved

Hi
    I got exactly the same problem after emerge world / reboot
    Seems that my hotplug was broken.
    downgrading to hotplug-20040401 solve this

Just Joined!

Re: Solved

Quote Originally Posted by mkalbere
    Hi
    I got exactly the same problem after emerge world / reboot
    Seems that my hotplug was broken.
    downgrading to hotplug-20040401 solve this
    Exactly the same here. I've only been using linux for a week now, but I would say that there is a bug in hotplug-20040923. Again, downgrading and rebooting immediately solved the problem.

Edit: I read elsewhere that apparently emerging coldplug was the solution. After paying attention to hotplug being reinstalled as a dependency, it said:

Code:
     * WARNING: The hotplug init script is now gone (dead and burried.)
     * WARNING: If you want to load modules for hardware that was already
     * WARNING: discovered at boot time, like the old hotplug init script
     * WARNING: did, then emerge the coldplug package, and add coldplug to
     * WARNING: a runlevel, e.g. # rc-update add coldplug boot

* WARNING: All firmware loaded by the hotplug scripts needs to be
     * WARNING: moved to the /lib/firmware directory, as the scripts now
     * WARNING: expect it to be in that location.
    So emerging coldplug should solve this problem.

Just Joined!

coldplug and hotplug

I had the same problem everyone else in this thread had and simply emerging coldplug per the instructions listed above solved it. I used runlevel boot, I also had my hotplug running at runlevel boot also, but I think it was emerging coldplug that really did the trick.

Just Joined!
    I get the same problem of not being able to connect to the DHCP server, with the same netmount error (before the reboot from Gentoo LiveCD to HDA, the networking was working as it should). However subsequently even the Gentoo LiveCD, Knoppix and the OpenBSD FTP installer cannot connect... could this be a hardware failure?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast