Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. So I'm installing Gentoo with KDE on a friend's laptop and I've come across an interesting problem. I had emerged kde-base and a couple extra applications to go with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

portage network connection problems

Hi.

So I'm installing Gentoo with KDE on a friend's laptop and I've come across an interesting problem. I had emerged kde-base and a couple extra applications to go with it (including firefox). I started X with KDE and got my nice desktop environment. Yay. From there I began to emerge more applications when, (as far as I can tell) randomly, I could no longer connect to any of the servers with emerge. Before this I could navigate the web with firefox; after I couldn't. If I ping a website (such as google.com) I get a response and if I use Konqueror I can navegate the web, but I still can't get firefox or portage working. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. If you want to see the contents of a file, just let me know!

Thanks!

Hello and Welcome.
    What happens when you try
    Code:
    emerge --sync
    Please post the exact error messages.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the swift reply! That worked, but the problem persists. Attached is the full output from trying to emerge wine (though it is similar for any package with or without dependencies). I would have posted it inline, but there were some problems with having urls in it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    post a copy of this file please
    Code:
    /etc/resolv.conf
    Are you using DHCP to get an IP address?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    # Generated by dhcpcd from eth0
    # /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    # /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

Yes, I am using DHCP.

Are you using some fancy network manager from within KDE?

Linux Guru
    It seems your network is up, but there's a problem resolving DNS names.

Ideally, your dhcp client should fill your resolv.conf file with valid DNS servers, but it seems it doesn't for some reason. What dhcp client are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    Ideally, your dhcp client should fill your resolv.conf file with valid DNS servers, but it seems it doesn't for some reason. What dhcp client are you using?
    You may be right about this but I have identical contents in /etc/resolv.conf but the system is working (client dhcpcd). I got similar messages from emerge when I was playing with firewall settings ... I must confess at the time I didn't try firefox or konqueror to see if they still worked because I knew how I stopped emerge working. Maybe worth a quick check of firewall settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    You may be right about this but I have identical contents in /etc/resolv.conf but the system is working (client dhcpcd). I got similar messages from emerge when I was playing with firewall settings ... I must confess at the time I didn't try firefox or konqueror to see if they still worked because I knew how I stopped emerge working. Maybe worth a quick check of firewall settings?
    This is exactly why I had not replied yet. I have seen this same example work on some systems.

Conqueror is working, Firefox is not. Let's leave emerge (rsync) alone for now.
    How comes one browser is working and other is not? Is there a proxy in use? Conqueror probably gets net conf from KDE environment, Firefox from Gentoo.
    Is 192.168.0.1 a valid DNS?
    It seems ping is working and able to resolve domain names.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast