Find the answer to your Linux question:
This might belong in the Gentoo section ... ? If you use genkernel to compile your kernel, and you get to the point of choosing which modules to have automatically ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Gentoo modules.autoload.d/kernel2.6

This might belong in the Gentoo section ... ?
    If you use genkernel to compile your kernel, and you get to the point of choosing which modules to have automatically loaded, is it a very important step if you have no problems with the Live CD? I don't know too much about it.
    I should say I tried a list of them before, when using make menuconfig, and not one loaded when I booted.
    I know I've compiled the kernel and used genkernel and installed everything without a problem ... just wondering if you've had problems caused by it. I am still reading, just thought someone might have a quick answer, instead of having to google everyone's specific experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chigurh View Post
    This might belong in the Gentoo section ... ?
    If you use genkernel to compile your kernel, and you get to the point of choosing which modules to have automatically loaded, is it a very important step if you have no problems with the Live CD? I don't know too much about it.
    I should say I tried putting a list of them on there before, when using make menuconfig, and not one loaded when I booted.
    I know I've compiled the kernel and used genkernel and installed everything without a problem ... just wondering if you've had problems caused by it. I am stil reading, just thought someone might have a quick answer, instead of having to google everyone's specific experience with it.
    Sorry, pal, I really do not see a question here.
    However. The whole idea of Gentoo is customization. Genkernel is provided just to widen the userbase. Thus, once you do make menuconfig you should build the support for your hardware into kernel, not as modules. And you should exclude support for everything you do not have because it qualifies as cruft. Plus, you should exclude support for every function you do not need, e. g. router stuff when you are building a desktop kernel.
    The bottom line, just forget there is such a thing as genkernel.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Sorry, pal, I really do not see a question here.
    However. The whole idea of Gentoo is customization. Genkernel is provided just to widen the userbase. Thus, once you do make menuconfig you should build the support for your hardware into kernel, not as modules. And you should exclude support for everything you do not have because it qualifies as cruft. Plus, you should exclude support for every function you do not need, e. g. router stuff when you are building a desktop kernel.
    The bottom line, just forget there is such a thing as genkernel.
    Amen, and if you try to compile your own kernel, then genkernel becomes useless to you.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Yeah, I compiled it a couple times ... I apologize if it seems like there's no question. I just meant do you have knowledge of why that could cause any real problems, maybe even problems that you don't realize are there ... Maybe some that would surface later ... If you've had any, personally ...
    I was just wondering, I haven't read into it too much, and what I know about it it seems silly to worry about it much.