Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm interested in installing Gentoo, as everyone says it's very flexible and customizable. Since flexibility is why I first got into Linux (And FC2, while it's a heck of a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Newb Installation Questions

I'm interested in installing Gentoo, as everyone says it's very flexible and customizable. Since flexibility is why I first got into Linux (And FC2, while it's a heck of a lot beter than XP, isn't exactly customizable) I thought I'd give it a try.

I looked through the documentation on the gentoo website, and would like to know if gentoo is capable of setting up a triple boot with FC2, WinXP and Gentoo? Also, can I use the swap space and /boot partition from my FC2 install?
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Yes, both tripple-boot and sharing /boot and swap space are possible. Sharing the /boot partition should be configured in /etc/fstab, some goes for the swap space.

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    Wow that was fast!

Thanks a bunch. I'm almost done the live Cd download, and then I'm jumping in!!
    N3WO

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just as a tip, you could also share the /home between Fedora and Gentoo to save space and for convenience

Linux Newbie
    I don't have a separate /home partition, it's within the / partition. I tried resizing the partitions, but qtparted running in knoppix says they are mounted (which they aren't) and partition magic says that the version of hte filesystem is unsuported (I used PM to create the partitoins...)
    N3WO

What filesystem are you using?

Linux Newbie
    I was trying to resize my EXT3 partitions. I gave up and used the FC2 Installer to delete all my EXT3 partitions and create a /home, a / and a /boot partition. I'm gonna burn the Gentoo cd and then install it in the remaining free space.
    N3WO

Sounds nice, good luck