Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I'm a total newb to Gentoo, my ex put it on my laptop, but now that we're not together anymore I want to install Win XP back onto ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Newb - CDRW/DVDRW isn't recognized - Please help

Hi all,

I'm a total newb to Gentoo, my ex put it on my laptop, but now that we're not together anymore I want to install Win XP back onto my laptop with the recovery disc so I can work my OS. I know some basic commands and how to get into root prompt.

Problem: my laptop is pretty new and I was told Gentoo might have compatibility glitches (I have an HP dv5 core 2 duo bought about 6 mo ago). When I try to install the Win XP disc, Gentoo does not recognize that my CDRW/DVDRW drive even exists right now.

All I need is to figure out how to get Gentoo to recognize my CD/DVD drive exists or find some way to boot the recovery disc from bios so I can get Win XP back on the system.

I know it is Gentoo because my CD/DVD driver worked fine before Gentoo was installed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!

You want to remove Gentoo and install Windows. The good news is it has nothing to do with Gentoo or Linux. This is a matter of booting from Windows XP installation CD and letting it do what it has to do. It will overwrite everything currently on your hard drive. Just make sure CD is your first boot device in BIOS or use boot menu (F12 for my laptop, yours may differ).

Edit: In some cases Windows may have hard time understanding Linux disk layout and refuses to install. In this case please see How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your input! When I try to get into BIOS during start-up, it says "hit esc for main menu" to I hit esc. There is no BIOS option in the main menu. Just basic info about my computer specs. I tried hitting F12, but does nothing. Not sure how to get into BIOS now to find out if CD is my first boot device.. in windows it's easy :P.

Just Joined!
    At this point, I'm afraid to wipe Gentto off my computer even though I have an XP recovery disc since the CD/DVD rom isn't being recognized.

Just Joined!
    I think the "how to remove linux and install XP" help info is a bit too outdated. I don't have a DOS prompt with Gentoo. I can access root via the terminal, but the listed commands do nothing in the root prompt aka fdisk, command "p" etc.

I would suggest that you very carefully examine that Windows Disc and make sure it isn't an Upgrade.....if it is, then you also need a "Qualifying Product" to use an Upgrade disk. Also you need to make darn sure that you have all the needed drivers (Wireless, Graphics) before you go deleting partitions and whatnot.
    Good Luck.
    This will nuke the drive into oblivion,,you have been warned.
    Open Gentoo and get a command line fired up.
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    This will list your drives, pick the one you want to nuke.
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    In the above code you need to change /dev/sda to the drive you indentified with the fdisk -l command. Your hard drive is now empty.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks MikeTBob.

What I have are 2 disc options. 1) The windows vista operating system CD that contains software and drivers already installed for Win Vista for reinstallation and repair (this is the disc I received when I purchased my computer). 2) Win XP operating system CD that contains software and drivers already installed for Win XP for reinstallation and repair (I also received this disc when I purchased my laptop from HP). Neither are burned discs, but original operating system cds from HP.

When I purchased my laptop it was originally installed with Win Vista, so will I need to install Vista to make sure of compatibility or XP is fine?

So, I got into bios and got the Win XP operating CD to run.

Problem: Windows operating CD is not understanding Linux disk layout and refuses to install.

I read the: "How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP" but the commands don't seem to be accurate with 2008 linux.

So If I follow your commands MikeTBob and delete all the partitions, even though this recovery disc contains all the needed drivers, there is a possibility of things not working or win not installing properly?

Ug

Just Joined!
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but after following your commands for deleting drives/partitions MikeTbob, do I need to delete all the listed drives or simply the one for the hard drive to empty it?

Just Joined!
    Seems much easier to put windows back on then figure out how the heck to get gentoo to recognize my cd/dvd drive

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry View Post
    So If I follow your commands MikeTBob and delete all the partitions, even though this recovery disc contains all the needed drivers, there is a possibility of things not working or win not installing properly?

Ug
    As long as you have all the drivers you need, everything should be fine.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but after following your commands for deleting drives/partitions MikeTbob, do I need to delete all the listed drives or simply the one for the hard drive to empty it?
    That command should delete all partitions and MRB of whichever drive you use it on.

Seems much easier to put windows back on then figure out how the heck to get gentoo to recognize my cd/dvd drive
    Would you rather get Gentoo working?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast