Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok so i tried to install linux on my ps3 today gentoo mind you and it didna work..mostly because when i had to download this stupid tarball it said there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

OOK so heres my problem..

ok so i tried to install linux on my ps3 today gentoo mind you and it didna work..mostly because when i had to download this stupid tarball it said there wasna enough room on the device for the file which is such BS because theres 10gigs on there!
    och its so massivly complicated i know i downloaded the right version for it this cuz i got all that way until it said that..i dunno what to do..did i do something wrong? i followed the guide gentoo gave me...help anyone?

I've not tried experimenting with our PS3 but I think I may have found a helpful link for you. Please do let us know if it is useful or not.
    Gentoo Howto - PS3 Wiki
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    When there's space, and you know there's space, and it tells you that there isn't space, most probably you forgot to mount something. If in doubt, see the output of "df".

You can also get this error when you're doing a compilation that makes lots and lots of little files. Every file in Linux needs an inode to contain basic information about it as well as data blocks, and you can run out of inodes. That happened to me a few times.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    When there's space, and you know there's space, and it tells you that there isn't space, most probably you forgot to mount something. If in doubt, see the output of "df".
    Or you mounted something over the top of something that has data in it. I have seen that before too..
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

well my boyfriend decided he didn't want linux on his ps3 mostly because he'd rather have yellowdog but it requires you to use hdmi and his hdmi port is broken so we've just abandoned the idea.for now anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    Or you mounted something over the top of something that has data in it. I have seen that before too..
    I'm puzzled. I thought that if you did that, the original data in the directory would simply become invisible for the duration. Why would it cause an out-of-space error?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I'm puzzled. I thought that if you did that, the original data in the directory would simply become invisible for the duration. Why would it cause an out-of-space error?

You are right it becomes invisible, but it still takes the space.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds