Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed gentoo with not problems, but when i try and emerge the xserver there are a lot of dependencies. The handbook doesn't mention anything about that. Is this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Xserver

I just installed gentoo with not problems, but when i try and emerge the xserver there are a lot of dependencies. The handbook doesn't mention anything about that. Is this normal in Gentoo?

I know I am not being specific here, but I can't post errors yet.I just want to know for the most part is it normal for dependency hell or is there something wrong with my installation?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

It's normal for xserver to have a lot of dependencies, yes. Are you saying it's unable to build the dependencies?

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    It's normal for xserver to have a lot of dependencies, yes. Are you saying it's unable to build the dependencies?
    *error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed at the same time

('ebuild','/','sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.3-r1','merge') pulled in by >=sys-libs/e3fsprogs-lib-1.41 required by ('ebuild',''/','sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.0.6-r2','merge')

('installed','/','sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.40.8','nomerge') pulled in by sys-fs/e2fslprogs required by system sys-fs/e2fsprogs required by world >=sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.34 required by ('installed',/','sys-apps/util-linux-213.1.1','nomerge') (and 1 more)

I get this when I do emerge -pv xorg-server. This is after a clean install of stage 3
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    mzv
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    *error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed at the same time

('ebuild','/','sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.3-r1','merge') pulled in by >=sys-libs/e3fsprogs-lib-1.41 required by ('ebuild',''/','sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.0.6-r2','merge')

('installed','/','sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.40.8','nomerge') pulled in by sys-fs/e2fslprogs required by system sys-fs/e2fsprogs required by world >=sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.34 required by ('installed',/','sys-apps/util-linux-213.1.1','nomerge') (and 1 more)

I get this when I do emerge -pv xorg-server. This is after a clean install of stage 3
    try to unmerge these packages. But anyway you can install the xserver by emerge --nodeps and then try to merge dependencies "by hands". and see the handbook about depclean. good luck!

Linux Guru
    You can just unmerge the blockers (emerge -C util-linux e2fsprogs), then do "emerge -1 e2fsprogs", and after that continue whith whatever you were doing.

About the X dependencies, they are normal. X ir modular since 7.0, that means that it's no longer a monolitic package. Nowadays X ir formed by a plethora of packages. So, mzv: no, you can't do that. Dependencies exist for a reason, a package will not work without the dependencies, most times. And in the case of X, being most of the dependencies headers, you will not even be able to compile the core of X without them.