Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm very new to Gentoo, and am still trying to find my way around. When I boot up, grub loads, but all I see is a black screen with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Resolution Problems on Bootup, and a USB question

I'm very new to Gentoo, and am still trying to find my way around. When I boot up, grub loads, but all I see is a black screen with a flashing _. I can hit enter, and then gentoo boots, or hit the down arrow and then enter, and WinXP boots. The grub splash screen never appears however. Also, when I select gentoo, it starts up with long lines of dots running from the top of the screen to the bottom, as though it has resolution problems. A little way into the boot process, these disappear, and the resolution returns to a readable state.

Also, how can I see what my usb flash drive is being recognized as? (ie /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc)? I can't use info center, 'cause I don't have kde yet. I need an ethernet driver from my flash disk to get networking workin in gentoo.

Thanks for ur help, I'm still very much a newb, especially with gentoo.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

First off, check to see if there's a line pointing to the splash image in your grub.conf. Make sure that it is not typoed and/or the file exists.

As far as the USB device:

Code:
    tail /var/log/messages
    After you plug it in. This should show the drive being detected and assigned a block device in /dev. You have to have SCSI generic support as well as USB mass storage enabled in the kernel (or modules built/probed).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy