Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have 3 partitions. dev/sda1 and dev/sda2 are for OSX. The third is ext3, sda3 for gentoo. I can only have one partition dedicated to gentoo. I am wondering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo on Macbook Pro

Hello.

I have 3 partitions. dev/sda1 and dev/sda2 are for OSX.
    The third is ext3, sda3 for gentoo. I can only have one partition dedicated to gentoo.

I am wondering if it is correct set both / and /boot on dev/sda3 in the fstab like:

/dev/sda3 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 2
    /dev/sda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0

Any advice would be helpful.

Thankyou in advance,
    Francesco

Welcome to the forums Francesco

If you intend booting from the root partition then you only have a single entry in /etc/fstab for root. Just add a # at the beginning of the boot partition entry to comment it out.

Hope you enjoy using Gentoo ... and I suggest you do a handbook install.

btw ... only just read your 5 day old post because I don't have a Macbook Pro - would have responded much quicker to a post title something like 'correct /etc/fstab entries with no /boot partition'
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 09-06-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Just Joined!

Smile

Thanks for the advice.

I had already managed to install it even though I specified both the root / and /boot in the fstab. Gave me errors everytime, but managed to load up.
    Now that I fixed it I don't get errors, which is always good I suppose! I didn't have the possibility to do a handbook install because I already had windows and mac os x on my hard drive therefore I could afford only 1 single partition because of the limitations of the boot program I'm using...

Thanks again

Francesco

(btw I'm really liking gentoo =) )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Glad your sorted ... I said handbook install (rather than using the automatic installer). Partition layout is down to personal preference anyway ... so it's still a handbook install as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy your Gentoo .