Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I have decided to get Gentoo for my craptop, but I have no idea what to get. I only have about 2 gigs of space on my craptop but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What to download for Gentoo?

Ok, I have decided to get Gentoo for my craptop, but I have no idea what to get. I only have about 2 gigs of space on my craptop but that should be more then enough!

Anyway all the mirrors are the same. The releases folder has all these different releases and I have no idea what to get :\

Basicly, heres what I need:
    Prefably some kind of full version with all the features (if it will fit on 2 gigs)
    Bootable (i.e I just stick the disc in and restart)
    Have the ability to get rid of everything on hard drive and install

Linux Engineer
    ah.. the world of gentoo.. my advice would be to download the 2004.2 minimal liveCD and install from stage1... if you do that, you can carefully control what's installed and how it's built... even though it may be a little difficult to get gentoo into 2GB....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    ah.. the world of gentoo.. my advice would be to download the 2004.2 minimal liveCD and install from stage1... if you do that, you can carefully control what's installed and how it's built... even though it may be a little difficult to get gentoo into 2GB....
    As long as you don't try to install anything large (KDE, OpenOffice, etc.), you'll be OK. I've heard tell that OOo can take up quite a bit in /var/tmp/portage (approaching 1G ).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Full version?

You clearly don't understand what Gentoo is lol...

Gentoo, you create your OS, pretty much. You decide everything about what's installed, how it's configured, it's the perfect power user's OS.