Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by MikeTbob I'm not sure of the answer here. Maybe someone else could pitch in, I may be doing it for nothing....I seem to remember it did update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I'm not sure of the answer here. Maybe someone else could pitch in, I may be doing it for nothing....I seem to remember it did update something a long time ago...but maybe I just ran emerge -u system first. Does emerge -avuDN system want to update any packages on your system?
    MikeTbob as far as I can tell system is a subset of world, the update gcc guide recommends running emerge system before emerge world so you have an updated tool chain before building world. I guess the same applies to any toolchain updates ... I wonder if this is automagically done when you emerge -uDN world ...

I don't think I have come across any issues by doing update world alone but for the moment I'm going to do update system then update world (you have them listed the opposite way round ).

... actually I'll do
    Code:
    emerge --sync
    emerge -avufDN world
    emerge -avuDN system
    emerge -avuDN world
    If you want to check if system is a subset of world on your system you can follow my dumb-*** method
    Code:
    emerge -p system > emerge-system
    emerge -p world > emerge-world
    diff -w emerge-system emerge-world > emerge-system-world-diff
    and then manually match remaining system entries (about 17 on the system I checked)

... I just noticed I typed dumb-a*s in the above and it got updated when I previewed the post ... now all I need is automatic post corrections

Ed: I guess since I never built Gentoo from a stage1 or stage2 tarball I missed most of the fun
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 09-28-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    MikeTbob as far as I can tell system is a subset of world, the update gcc guide recommends running emerge system before emerge world so you have an updated tool chain before building world. I guess the same applies to any toolchain updates ... I wonder if this is automagically done when you emerge -uDN world ...
    Johnathan, it's good to know that you found something that was referring to it also, I was beginning to think maybe I had just dreamt it up. I'm still kinda vague in my understanding of things related to portage.

I don't think I have come across any issues by doing update world alone but for the moment I'm going to do update system then update world (you have them listed the opposite way round).
    Yeah, I knew that! I did type that out wrong, glad you caught it. My bad.

... I just noticed I typed dumb-a*s in the above and it got updated when I previewed the post ... now all I need is automatic post corrections
    HAHA, then us mods and TP would be out of a job!

Ed: I guess since I never built Gentoo from a stage1 or stage2 tarball I missed most of the fun:
    I guess I need to try it one day, I have only ever used a stage 3. I didn;t think it was much different between the stages.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I guess I need to try it one day, I have only ever used a stage 3. I didn;t think it was much different between the stages.
    I thought you had done ... example manual here I started using Gentoo after they dropped support for user build from stage1 & stage2 so have not bothered. A stage1 or 2 does not seem to offer a great deal of advantage ... just extra compile time . I'm hoping I don't need to re-install but might have a go at a stage1 in a VM at some point.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    I have emerge -uDN world set in a crontab to run daily, and every 2 - 3 days I will run an
    Code:
    emerge -avuDN world && emerge -av --depclean && revdep-rebuild
    Thank you all for your information. I think that the quoted will be the procedure that i'll use.

I thought you had done ... example manual here I started using Gentoo after they dropped support for user build from stage1 & stage2 so have not bothered. A stage1 or 2 does not seem to offer a great deal of advantage ... just extra compile time . I'm hoping I don't need to re-install but might have a go at a stage1 in a VM at some point.
    So Johnathan, Hiya!
    Did you have any problems with running emerge -avu system? I noticed the other day, they released about 8 "system" updates, at least on my system.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hi Mike - only thing I have noticed is some packages get built with system and the remainder get built with world. I don't expect problems running things this way - I just want to avoid any potential issues by just running world update. I've been running Funtoo the same way and no problems there either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2