Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey I posted something like this a few months ago, but i didn't really get too many results. I've recently done a Gentoo install on my laptop, and I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Netgear WG511

Hey
    I posted something like this a few months ago, but i didn't really get too many results. I've recently done a Gentoo install on my laptop, and I can seem to get my NetGear WG511 Wireless 802.11g card to work with it. It uses the Prism54 Chipset, and I've compiled the kernel to support it. Then I installed the firmware, and still no dice. I then tried installing the tarball from prism54.org and that didn't work either.
    I Really want to go back to Gentoo, but without wireless, it's really not an option! Thanks a lot
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    You have helped me, and i will try to help you

Is your kernel 2.6.7 or higher? If so, you dont need to do the first part of your guide, just do it from making a dir for the firmware, and go then wget the isl3890 firmware from prism54. I really hope this helps

Regards

Borgmeister

yeah
    it's the 2.6.8-r3 kernel. it just tells me:
    Code:
    modprobe prism54
    prism54.ko: incorrect module format

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    might wanna try the new 2.6.9 kernel... doubt its much, but it might give you better luck, who knows?!
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

well i mean i'm running 2.6.7 on aurox right now and everything works fine. very strange. maybe i should try just the plain old gentoo kernel, instead of gentoo-dev-sources?

yeah, if the aurox kernel works, its even possible to steal that kernel and use it, will take some poking around, but might be an interesting project, save all the kernel data to a cd or somesuch and give it a whirl....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

oh bye literally just copying /usr/src/linux from aurox, putting it in place on the gentoo box and compile? sounds good

Just Joined!

Beware two versions of the WG511

There are (at least) two versions of the WG511. Although it sounds like your problem is to do with compiiling the module itself. If your card is labelled "Made in Taiwan" then it should work with prism54 once you get that installed. If your card is labelled "Made in China" then save yourself the hassle, the "Made in China" version doesn't work with prism54 although the driver recognises it as a prism54 card.

For the Chinese-made WG511, you'll have to use the ndiswrapper or mebbe that linexant driverloader thing (the latter costs money and seems to work in an odd way, the ndiswrapper is free and seems to work fine for me.) For (not very many) more details, see my post in this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-28004.html

HTH,

- Carl

it's taiwanese. and i don't think you get my question. it works with prism54 on every other OS. it's just a matter of gentoo finding my firmware.

Just Joined!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast