Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just completed a stage3 install of Gentoo, and am interested in installing kde. Is it really as s imple as typing emerge kde, and that will download and install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Is it really that simple to install things?

I just completed a stage3 install of Gentoo, and am interested in installing kde. Is it really as s imple as typing emerge kde, and that will download and install kde? Can I then do startx and switchdesk kde? or is there more to the installation than I realize?

Kind of a newb question; this is my first time with gentoo, and I've read a fair ammount about how great emerge is and am excited to use it.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Just Joined!

Re: Is it really that simple to install things?

Quote Originally Posted by n3wo
    I just completed a stage3 install of Gentoo, and am interested in installing kde. Is it really as s imple as typing emerge kde, and that will download and install kde? Can I then do startx and switchdesk kde? or is there more to the installation than I realize?

Kind of a newb question; this is my first time with gentoo, and I've read a fair ammount about how great emerge is and am excited to use it.
    yes, it can be that simple. obviously some applications (servers for instance) require some configuration in order to function, but most of the time 'emerge foo' then running 'foo' will work.

with kde, its mixed. for kde itself simply running 'emerge kde' will work great. if you already have X setup, then can then add startkde to ~/.xinitrc and run startx and enjoy kde.

if you dont have X setup, you will have to get it working before you can use kde.

also, once you get X working and provided kde is installed, you can set it to use kdm under /etc/rc.conf and rc-update add xdm default to have the system boot into the the graphical login utility.

hope this helps.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks, that answers my question. I tried emerge kde, and it tried three different mirrors for cdparanoia and then failed. I can't test my internet because the links2 webbrowser I used during setup doesn't seem to be installed. Any suggestions? Do I really need cdparanoia?
    N3WO

Quote Originally Posted by n3wo
    Thanks, that answers my question. I tried emerge kde, and it tried three different mirrors for cdparanoia and then failed. I can't test my internet because the links2 webbrowser I used during setup doesn't seem to be installed. Any suggestions? Do I really need cdparanoia?
    Try lynx. I think that's installed by default. Also, you can ping to check your net connection:

Code:
    ping 216.239.57.99
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    Turned out I had the wrong driver module loaded, so I've got the emerge working. Can't ping, as my school's firewall kills the replies!! Don't have lynx, or links2 (that was used in the live cd) so I'll emerge it after I'm done with kde. Actually, after kde I can use firefox. Now its only a matter of time, cause emerg sync takes forever, and I've heard that KDE is a bear to compile.
    N3WO

Linux Newbie
    Well I now have kde, and I did what you suggested to make it start up automatically on bootup. Now when I boot up I am prompted by the x splash screen, and if I log in as a regular user, I get an error:

Code:
    kde cannot write /home/n3wo/.ICEauthority
    If I log in as Root, I don't get this error.
    Also, once logged in, I can su n3wo, and have access to my home directory. Any idea why KDE won't open .ICEauthority?

Thanks for all your help thus far.
    N3WO

try

chown -R n3wo /home/n3wo

if thats no good, perhaps

chmod -R 755 /home/n3wo

its a little sloppy, but a quick fix, you might want to go back and redo the permissons as nesicarry.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333