Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
my netbook is gateway lt3103u Disk /dev/sda (Sun disk label): 255 heads, 63 sectors, 30401 cylinders Units = cylindersnof 16065 * 512 bytes Device--------Flag---Start------End-------Blocks--------Id--------System /dev/sda1------------0-----------4---------32130---------1---------Boot /dev/sda2------------4----------69--------522112+-----82--------Linux swap /dev/sda3-----------69------30401----243641790----83-------Linux native -there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

my netbook is gateway lt3103u

Disk /dev/sda (Sun disk label): 255 heads, 63 sectors, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylindersnof 16065 * 512 bytes

Device--------Flag---Start------End-------Blocks--------Id--------System
    /dev/sda1------------0-----------4---------32130---------1---------Boot
    /dev/sda2------------4----------69--------522112+-----82--------Linux swap
    /dev/sda3-----------69------30401----243641790----83-------Linux native

-there must be boot section instead of flag

-my another question is can i create a gentoo for my netbook on my desktop vista computer.

Hello,

You already have 3 partitions that's why fdisk doesn't ask you to extend or primary. I can't say about moving gentoo from virtual disk to real disk but you can copy one disk to another using "dd" command over ssh.

You have a gateway lt3103u netbook:
    amd athlon64
    690g chipset
    atheros t77h121_hb95 wifi
    ati 1270 vga
    realtek ALC272 sound
    sata hdd
    no cdrom
    realtek RTL8103EL lan

Right?

And you have problems with instaling gentoo from livecd 2008.0
    - sound
    - lan
    - wifi
    Right?

Did you try to install gentoo from weekly minimal cd?

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    lspci -v
    command when you try to install gentoo from livecd?

Just Joined!
    no i have created the partitions and when i am creating them fdisk didnt ask anything about extend or anything thats why i cant be sure that which partition primary or not.

when i open from usb stick weekly gentoo i typed lspci -v it was really big list

when i open with weekly gentoo it knows the all my drivers sound,lan,wifi everything is okey

Quote Originally Posted by muhammedda View Post
    no i have created the partitions and when i am creating them fdisk didnt ask anything about extend or anything thats why i cant be sure that which partition primary or not...
    Well, if you have any doubts about fdisk I would recomend you to boot your netbook from partedmagic livecd. You can check your partitions and if you wish recreate it.

Just Joined!
    -i have run the hdparm before fdisk and then fdisk problem has been solved is it possible ?

-can i use weekly minimal installation with stage 1 tarballs.do you recommend it ?

...can i use weekly minimal installation with stage 1 tarballs.do you recommend it ?
    Hi,

I never try it so I'm not really in a position to comment.

Just Joined!
    so i am installing the gentoo now but just i wanna know can i install gentoo as

minimal installation= weekly
    stage 1 =2007.0
    snapshot =lasest

can i mix them like that?

From an old version of the handbook each stage tarball pros and cons.

I suggest you do a regular handbook install using a stage3 tarball and get used to using Gentoo. Since Gentoo is a rolling release distro you only need to install once, then sync your system and do updates as often as you like (subject to sync policy ... don't sync more than once a day).

Just Joined!
    yes i unterdstand what you mean but i wanna lern linux basic thats why my purpose is to install it from stage 1.

so far so good now next step clags i opened it with nano but there were a few lines it seems like so complicated what am i gonna write there?

yes i unterdstand what you mean but i wanna lern linux basic thats why my purpose is to install it from stage 1.

so far so good now next step clags i opened it with nano but there were a few lines it seems like so complicated what am i gonna write there?
    Gentoo documentation is good, and you should be able to sort most issues using a combination of the handbook, documentation on the Gentoo website and the forums. If you are talking about USE flags then take a look at the sticky thread in the forums on this ...

... if you intend learning about Linux through the install process then I suggest you refer to old versions of the handbook (see earlier post) and the documents on the Gentoo website here - you might also want to take a look at the information provided with Linux From Scratch ... good luck with your install ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast