Find the answer to your Linux question:
My machine has a long, long history of problems. She's a monster. So when someone finally introduced me to Gentoo, I was excited to find a stable OS. Having been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"Aiee"

My machine has a long, long history of problems. She's a monster. So when someone finally introduced me to Gentoo, I was excited to find a stable OS.

Having been in and out of repair for the past couple months, I've finally been able to update things. When I start X and run the "screen sudo emerge -u world" or "sudo emerge -u world" commands, the updates will run for about 45 minutes or so before X locks up (xmms skips, the lights on my keyboard flash) and I have to do a hard restart.

I thought maybe it was just too much stuff running at once, so after the reboot I didn't begin the update again. However, my machine locked up during the night, and I awoke to xmms skipping again... like a CD with Coke all over it.

I did another hard reboot, as there is no other way to restart the machine when she gets like this, and ran the update command without starting X. When I returned home about 9 hours later, the last line of text on the screen said "kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler! In interrupt handler- not syncing"

I'm using Gentoo, I'm running KDE, and typically the only things I have running are Mozilla, gAIM, XMMS, and possibly Open Office and a couple terminals.

I'm not truly 1337, but I can follow directions, and I have someone who helps me with maintenance and updates, but he doesn't know what this all means either. Would running a different WM help me?

First off, I would try booting a different kernel. It sounds like you either have a bad kernel image or incompatible kernel. It could also be that your current kernel doesn't like you.

Let us know if that fixes it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    yeah, I don't know what I did to get it running exactly, but I booted my test boot and ran the update, and it worked.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close