Find the answer to your Linux question:
Two days ago, I finally installed Gentoo. Yesterday, I finally got the net working. Now, my problem is that when I try emerging a package, it take nearly 20 minutes. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is this normal?

Two days ago, I finally installed Gentoo. Yesterday, I finally got the net working. Now, my problem is that when I try emerging a package, it take nearly 20 minutes.

After talking on #gentoo, I was told to run mirrorselect. Problem is that I had to emerge it. It's been about 10 hours and mirrorselect is still emerging.

I've got a AMD Athlon XP 1.8 GHz CPU and a 3MB DSL connection. Anyone have any ideas?

is it just the downloading phase that takes that time or the whole emerge? (if it's the whole emerge it's normal, since it actually compiles the apps, meaning "converting the source code to bits in a nice pattern" )
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    It takes about 20 minutes for the computer to go to the next try. I haven't timed it so I'm estimating. Once it finds a server, it doesn't take long to download.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    this is quite normal. it takes a while to compile every necessary component from scratch. if you would rather not wait, you could install pre-compiled packages. or you could just install everything you want during the night when it doesn't matter how long it takes.

http://gentoo.vidalinux.com/ and some others seem to of set up packages if you were interested.

the command you probably want is "emerge -k packagename" for installing packages.

Just Joined!
    You've got it wrong. I type in emerge <insert ebuild here> and it takes 20 minutes to go to the next try on the server. If I get the message back the ebuild doesn't exist on the server, it just takes 20 minutes or more to connect. Once it connects to a server and the file exists, it doesn't take long for it to download. When I was installing, it was much faster. Now, I'm done installing and its slow as a snail.

Linux Newbie
    i would try inserting different mirrors into your /etc/make.conf file and see if you get the same problem with other mirrors. check out http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml for a list of mirrors.

how you are connected to the internet might also be your problem. i don't see how it would cause this right now, but it could be, and might be worth investigating.

good luck.

Just Joined!
    Isn't that what mirrorselect does?

Linux Newbie
    mirrorselect should do that for you. but for some reason it didn't work for me when i did the gentoo install, it broke something when i ran it. so i just looked for hosts within 200 miles of my location and inserted them manually.

did you emerge sync first?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    It just must be slow in the TTY because when I used the LiveCD and got fluxbox working, it was fast as it usually is.