Find the answer to your Linux question:
While I am waiting for a response from Gentoo. I will be using sysresd to build a Pappy seed. I have the lspci -n and cpinfo printed for my machine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question on Pappy Seed

While I am waiting for a response from Gentoo. I will be using sysresd to build a Pappy seed. I have the lspci -n and cpinfo printed for my machine. What I dont know is how to get through next step.. cd /usr/src-2.6.30-gentoo-r8. I untarred both stage3 and portage in this machine but its hanging up when it loading drivers. So I assume the kernel source must be there somewhere. I am opened to othe suggestions that will get gentoo up and running. Frank

Why are you using a Pappy seed? Your hardware may be completely different than what "Pappy" uses. Which might be the reason you are getting hangup. Are you shy about compiling your own kernel? It's not really that hard.
    I'd advise you to follow the Gentoo handbook if you want the most success.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Handbook
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Follow the handbook, and do it manually. You will only learn to maintain your system by actually doing the install all yourself.

The best way to compile your first kernel is to actually read the options and select what you need or think you need. It may take longer, but you are using Gentoo so you must know what you are in for.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry