Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 8 of 8
emerge gentoo-sources stalling again at "Applying 4400_alpha-sysct1-uac.patch (-po+ ) ...". how long should I let this run? I let it run for about 4 hours last night, then forced shutdown ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    156

    emerge gentoo-sources stalling i686 machine at applying 4400


    emerge gentoo-sources stalling again at

    "Applying 4400_alpha-sysct1-uac.patch (-po+ ) ...". how long should I let this run? I let it run for about 4 hours last night, then forced shutdown ( forgot there was a proper way of doing this). Might this take two days or more..I have an athlon 1.2 gig and and Dsl connection. Frank

    TOP reporting rm command at the top.

    cpu usage varying form 20 % to 70%, memory total 514552k used 508330k
    swap ok on all columns with 405824k cached.

    Tasks 62 total, 2 running none stopped. dont know if that helps troubleshooting.
    Last edited by frank56; 11-08-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: new info

  2. #2
    Linux Enthusiast gruven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    541
    What I would do is remove the sources from /usr/portage/distfiles and /usr/src, and remerge the package. That will make sure you get a good download and unpack, and it will be fresh. If that doesn't work, you probably have a more serious issue.

    Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    What I would do is remove the sources from /usr/portage/distfiles and /usr/src, and remerge the package. That will make sure you get a good download and unpack, and it will be fresh. If that doesn't work, you probably have a more serious issue.
    I am guessing the command might look like

    rm /usr/portage/distfiles
    rm /usr/src
    Last edited by frank56; 11-08-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: new info

  4. #4
    Linux Enthusiast gruven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by frank56 View Post
    I am guessing the command might look like

    rm /usr/portage/distfiles
    rm /usr/src
    Code:
    rm /usr/portage/distfiles/name-of-package.tar.bz2
    rm -rf /usr/src/*
    emerge gentoo-sources

    Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

  5. #5
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    Code:
    rm /usr/portage/distfiles/name-of-package.tar.bz2
    rm -rf /usr/src/*
    emerge gentoo-sources
    The very last asteric * after src, I enter that or an actual file? Frank

    rm /usr/portage/distfiles/portage-20091030.tar.bz2

    I get" cannot remove, no such file or directory", even though I just ls from this directory and see it above my command line .

    I didnt go on to rm -rf /usr/src/* didnt know if step one had to be completed before step 2 Frank

  6. #6
    Linux Enthusiast gruven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by frank56 View Post
    The very last asteric * after src, I enter that or an actual file? Frank

    rm /usr/portage/distfiles/portage-20091030.tar.bz2

    I get" cannot remove, no such file or directory", even though I just ls from this directory and see it above my command line .

    I didnt go on to rm -rf /usr/src/* didnt know if step one had to be completed before step 2 Frank
    The steps are independent of each other. The asterisk (*) just means "all" in that directory.

    You want to remove the kernel sources from /usr/portage/distfiles. That is the directory that gentoo downloads it's package files to extract and install.

    So just do this and it will work:
    Code:
    rm /usr/portage/distfiles/linux-2.6*
    Then this:
    Code:
    rm -rf /usr/src/linux*
    then:
    Code:
    emerge gentoo-sources
    and that will give you a fresh install of the kernel sources.

    Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

  7. #7
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    The steps are independent of each other. The asterisk (*) just means "all" in that directory.

    You want to remove the kernel sources from /usr/portage/distfiles. That is the directory that gentoo downloads it's package files to extract and install.

    So just do this and it will work:
    Code:
    rm /usr/portage/distfiles/linux-2.6*
    Then this:
    Code:
    rm -rf /usr/src/linux*
    then:
    Code:
    emerge gentoo-sources
    and that will give you a fresh install of the kernel sources.
    It feels good I made some progress, I removed /usr/src/* but still getting same no such file on first rm command. I feel confident I am in the right directory to issue the command being the second command worked.

    I had doubt because I remember seeing /mnt/gentoo at the command prompt when I downloaded Stage3 and portage. Now when I issue command to cc
    /mnt/gentoo I get livecd gentoo#

    I am very greatfull for your help. I hope i am doing my part on this end. Frank

  8. #8
    Linux Enthusiast gruven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    541
    The commands I gave you were meant to be administered in the chroot. If you are in the livecd environment, then the emerge command won't be for the chroot install.

    Make sure you are chroot'd into your install before administering the commands.

    If it says "#livecd gentoo", you are not in the chroot environment. You cannot install gentoo without chrooting into your environment.

    Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •