Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I am a new noob on the linux fans. I have been reading up on all the linux distros and I decided I want to install Gentoo on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

noob linux with macbook

Hello everyone, I am a new noob on the linux fans. I have been reading up on all the linux distros and I decided I want to install Gentoo on my Macbook Pro. I googled Gentoo on a Macbook Pro and some posts came up. I tried following a few but no success. I installed rEFIt on my mac for booting up and being able to selected anything I want. I already have installed snow leopard and Windows 7 on my mac (work purpose) , and I do enjoy using macs, that is the main reason why I have had a macbook pro for 2 years. I am a flash developer and I was always interested on Linux, just never took the step forward, and now here I am. I decided that I could get rid of windows 7 and install Gentoo on that partition where windows 7 was.

I booted Boot Camp Assistant
    I clicked next and then I selected "Start the windows Installer"
    I inserted the Gentoo livedvd
    I click on restart.

My mac restarted and booted to Gentoo from the Dvd. Now I don't know how to install Gentoo. Where is the install application? or I don't know what? Also, I can't see anything, EVERYTHING is big, like there is a trash icon inside a window and at the moment I click on the options button, pop up menu comes up and I can't read anything because the font is at least 500px. What am I doing wrong? Could you guys help me out?

Thanks in advance.
    Oscar

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Right before the Gentoo CD begins to boot up, check the screen for any kernel boot options (usually found through the F-keys) that will allow you to set the screen resolution.

It's been quite a while since I last installed Gentoo, but I've heard that the live disk installation method doesn't work all that well for lots of folks. My own installs were always using the manual install method and they worked out well. I don't own a Macbook so can't offer up any specific advice on that. Perhaps some Macbook owners will chime in with some tips for you.

Do let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ozar, thanks for the quick answer. You mentioned something about manual install method. What is that? How do I do this manual install method? I will go ahead and try pressing the f-keys to see if the resolution pops up or changes on the go. Also I was trying to install Gentoo with the LiveDVD, I think I found the install CD and so I will also try that. Any recommendation, please do help

Thank you,
    Oscar

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    It's been a few years since I last installed Gentoo, so you might have to take a look through the Gentoo Handbook(s) to find the version that you want to download and install:

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Handbook

If you want to try one of the text installers, it will be one of those downloads found here that is not the LiveDVD version:

Gentoo Linux -- Where to Get Gentoo Linux

Hopefully someone more current with Gentoo will jump in with some help.

Keep in mind that if you are new to Linux, you might find Gentoo to be rather difficult to install and maintain, especially if you should go the non-LiveDVD route, as it's not a new Linux user oriented distribution, although countless new Linux users have successfully installed it.
    oz

you should have another machine with the gentoo handbook opened up while you install

gentoo is not one of the easier distros to install and start working with

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    gentoo is not one of the easier distros to install and start working with
    I have to agree. Gentoo is the last distribution I'd recommend for someone just dipping their toes into the Linux waters. You'd have a quicker setup with a more general-purpose distribution like Ubuntu, SuSE, or Mandriva. I've successfully installed Ubuntu on a MacBook with triple boot (XP, Leopard, and Ubuntu) using rEFIt.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I actually started out with gentoo linux (took me about twenty tries haha) - the instructions are pretty good, just follow them to the letter.....make sure you know all your system specs before tho.
    If you get stuck, just post