Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am having trouble installing gentoo alongside vista. i am not used to the gentoo installation method. the partitioning has me confused. whats the partitioning others have used to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vista and gentoo

i am having trouble installing gentoo alongside vista. i am not used to the gentoo installation method. the partitioning has me confused. whats the partitioning others have used to do a gentoo/ vista system?

Just Joined!
    Hi Steveo314, I think the easiest way is to partition some space for win vista first that u feel is enough, the leave the other pertition that will be for linux unpartitions, ie leave it without a partition, then when that is ok, install winvista on its partition.
    When installing linux, and you are at the partition window, select the option for free space, will detect it and ask you to partition it or it will detect and automatically do it but will give you a summary or what it proposes. then enjoy.

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Hi Steveo314,
    First make sure that you have a partition of winvista already made, and its what you want.
    Then the remaining partition, will be left blank/unpartitioned, when all that is done.
    Install winvista, when done, restart and insert the linux cd and start the installation, Linux's gparted has tools designed to automatically detect space whether free, or unpartitioned, it will do it automatically and give you a summary, or u can try do it manually and select use free space.
    When you reach the bootloader section, make sure you have an options for windows, it usually it automatically.
    Pliz let us know of you progress.
    Remember windows first, then linux last.

Cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo314 View Post
    i am having trouble installing gentoo alongside vista. i am not used to the gentoo installation method. the partitioning has me confused. whats the partitioning others have used to do a gentoo/ vista system?
    Use the Gentoo handbook to do the install, section 4 of the handbook explains disk partitions. Personally I tend to use PartedMagic to partition the disk rather than using fdisk, but it's upto you.

You have not indicated what you intend using the system for which will influence partition structure chosen. I don't dual boot with Vista anymore but I used to, my Gentoo install had a root partition and swap partition only. I have a couple of tips:-
    1. backup your data before you start changing partitions
    2. install Vista before Linux - it is easier that way
    3. make your Vista partition a primary partition, the first partition on the hard drive (unless you have a manufacturers utility partition - in which case make Vista the second partition on the disk).
    4. use the Gentoo handbook to install rather than the installers, the installers did not (and probably never will) work well, you learn a lot about setting up and using the system which will be valuable as you maintain the system.
    5. if you have multiple hard drives then I suggest Vista up on one drive and Gentoo on another drive. Disconnect the Vista drive to do the Gentoo install, that way you won't affect the Vista boot.

If you post the output of
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    and let use know what you intend using the system for we may be able to help a bit more