Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
what about arch is it hard like gentoo?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what about arch is it hard like gentoo?

It is not one of the easier distro's that's for sure. If you are new to Linux perhaps you should try a more begginer friendly distro such as Ubuntu or Fedora.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    yes i have ubuntu and mint... but i want something other...
    now i'm installing arch and have stupid question:
    i dont know witch character on the keyboard i can use to put * or remove from package. in the gentoo y is for the select, n for the unsellect, but here i dont know..
    can you help ?

Quote Originally Posted by jason32 View Post
    now i'm installing arch and have stupid question:
    i dont know witch character on the keyboard i can use to put * or remove from package. in the gentoo y is for the select, n for the unsellect, but here i dont know..
    can you help ?
    Spacebar ... I suggest you follow the beginners guide here if you want to install Arch

Arch is binary rather than source based so you don't need to compile everything from source code. You also don't need to compile kernel for Arch.

I found Arch easier to setup than Gentoo, but I am sure some will think Gentoo is easier to setup than Arch ... the only way you will find out which works best for you is to try both. You may also want to try Debian - which will also let you build a system.

Ed: btw it sounds like you left a module out of the kernel for the Gentoo install from your last message ... don't forget you need to build support for the root filesystem into the kernel rather than having a loadable module. It could also be that there was an error in the grub.conf file ... without the full error message its only a guess.
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 02-09-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3