Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You must configure X manually, separate from the install. Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The X Server Configuration HOWTO...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You must configure X manually, separate from the install.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The X Server Configuration HOWTO
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dheerajgupta View Post
    tn'x 4 response but ..i m not doing things manually..
    and why window x server not starting ..even i followd the all steps given in the installer..!!!!!!
    X server is not starting because you used the GUI installer, which is broken. It has never worked, it doesn't work and probably it will never work.

Manual installation is a matter of reading and copying&paste commands. It is rock solid, and in the end you have a wonderful system configured to your liking.

Having said that, I think you are completely mistaken when you ask if there's any file to configure!! If you haven't figured it out by now that the installation is all about creating and configuring the important system files, to build the system upon them, then you will never be able to have a working gentoo installation. You have to take care of the following files *at least*, creating them from scratch during the installation and maintaining them in the future. Nobody is going to do that for you:
    * /etc/make.conf
    * /boot/grub/grub.conf
    * /etc/fstab
    * /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    * /etc/resolv.conf
    * /etc/conf.d/net
    * /etc/rc.conf

Quote Originally Posted by urcindalo View Post
    If you haven't figured it out by now that the installation is all about creating and configuring the important system files, to build the system upon them, then you will never be able to have a working gentoo installation.
    That's an important point. Gentoo is for people who like to "roll their own". If you don't want to get involved in configuring fundamental system files, you will never really enjoy Gentoo, even if you can get it to work for you. There are plenty of Linux distributions that don't require you to get your hands dirty to that extent; why use Gentoo? To get the best out of Linux, find a distro that suits your temperament and whose philosophy you share.

I suspect that one reason the Gentoo graphical installer doesn't work is that no-one in the development team cared for it enough to make it work. Graphical installation is simply foreign to the Gentoo philosophy.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I suspect that one reason the Gentoo graphical installer doesn't work is that no-one in the development team cared for it enough to make it work. Graphical installation is simply foreign to the Gentoo philosophy.

I concur wholeheartedly!
    I wouldn't want a graphical installer for Gentoo, let me have all that memory for compiling packages instead.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

If the problem is the cli and configuring things manually then Gentoo is not for you. If you want something Gentoo based then give Sabayon Linux a try.

If the main problem is internet connection then I suggest you install Debian from DVD instead. Updates happen at a slower rate as well

If you really want to install Gentoo without an internet connection then follow the install in the handbook for the CD you have (not the current handbook). But keep in mind that the install will not be up to date unless you manually download and install updates - which will soon become a pain in the a**.
    Once you have the install complete you will struggle for support because packages such as xorg are updated so information available on the net will relate to the latest (and possibly previous) version.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2