Find the answer to your Linux question:
When i use genkernel it boots fine, but when i use manual kernel (but with the same kernel confiration + manual initrams), i have error "Kernel panic - not syncing: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo root-on-lvm boot problem

When i use genkernel it boots fine, but when i use manual kernel (but with the same kernel confiration + manual initrams), i have error "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block".
    I also noticed that with manual kernel, volume groups and pg are not detected at all. i use EXT4 on boot and root, also checked that dm-mod is included. any suggestion, please?

Hello and Welcome
    I don't think Gentoo kernel includes ext4 support by default so you need to compile that into your kernel and not as a module.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    EXT4 is built in kernel. Device-mapper i tried to compile as separate module and with kernel

I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    yep, i use it for building initramfs, also another few guides, problem still exist

Can you post your grub.conf or menu.lst file for us to look at? Also post the output of
    Code:
    fdisk -l

One thing I noticed awhile back is that when I installed Gentoo, it named my partitions hda1, hda 2 and so on, but after I got it installed everything changed to sda1, sda2. Could this be your problem?

Use UUID to identify partitions

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    One thing I noticed awhile back is that when I installed Gentoo, it named my partitions hda1, hda 2 and so on, but after I got it installed everything changed to sda1, sda2. Could this be your problem?
    use uuid to identify correct partitions, at one point when I was running a manually configured kernel and also genkernel one reported hda and the other reported sda ... by using
    root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/.... in /boot/grub/grub.conf and
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/... in /etc/fstab I was able to boot from either kernel

If this does not cure the issue it will at least allow you to rule this out as the issue ...