Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys i am new to Gentoo, and i wish to know where and which gentoo should i download. I have a Toshiba laptop, intel duo core 2, running ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question downloading Gentoo???

Hey guys i am new to Gentoo, and i wish to know where and which gentoo should i download. I have a Toshiba laptop, intel duo core 2, running ubuntu as my main os. plz help

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Your machine should run 32-bit or 64-bit Linux, so you'll need to decide which version you want to run, and then decide which ISO file to download and work with.

The Gentoo Handbook can help you determine which version and medium you should download:

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Handbook

You can find the ISO downloads here:

Gentoo Linux -- Where to Get Gentoo Linux
    oz

Just Joined!
    On a side note.... depending on how much ram is in a machine..... depends on whether (I Personally) install 64bit or 32bit. If i need to install 64bit to utalise the memory properly i do, however, if i have a 64bit machine with 2GB of ram or less i generally install 32bit just because there is less issues with software compatability.

There are a lot of blocked packages in gentoo because they are untested or not available for 64bit

As suggested by matt2kjones, go for 32bit if you have 2GB or less RAM.

I hope you are new to Gentoo not to Linux. Make sure to go through Gentoo Handbook and follow steps given in carefully during installation. You will learn a lot in the process.

Good Luck !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First