Find the answer to your Linux question:
my computer wont even boot the cd, i downloaded the newest hppa liveCD and when i go to boot it it doesnt work. i have puppy linux right now, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Gentoo from liveCD help!

my computer wont even boot the cd, i downloaded the newest hppa liveCD and when i go to boot it it doesnt work. i have puppy linux right now, but it really isnt doing it for me, and when i have the cd in i can mount it and look at all the files in the iso. so is there a way to install it from the command line running puppy with the cd in? do i just have to install the right files to the right place? please help!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by l0vern0hater View Post
    my computer wont even boot the cd, i downloaded the newest hppa liveCD and when i go to boot it it doesnt work.
    Welcome to the forums!

Tell what you mean when you say it doesn't work and tell us what does happen, so that someone can help you.

In my case, I've never had success installing Gentoo from a live disk, but installing it using the old text installer has worked every time.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Tell what you mean when you say it doesn't work and tell us what does happen, so that someone can help you.

In my case, I've never had success installing Gentoo from a live disk, but installing it using the old text installer has worked every time.
    ok so i changed my bios so that it boots from my disc drive and when i restart my laptop it runs through all the normal stuff for the computer and then when it goes to boot, it goes to a black screen, and it sounds like its accessing the cd drive for a few seconds, and then it goes back to default i guess and boots puppy from my HDD from grub. but when im in puppy, i can mount the CD and read and look at all the files on it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try one of the alternate install methods ... take a look here. Install from an existing Linux or a live CD (most will do the job). Use the handbook install method

Just Joined!
    I had similar problem, I'm not pro at this myself but... My problem was I used IA64 for my 64bit PC. Later I learned that I needed AMD64, the fact that it says amd does not means that it works only for AMD processors. You might have the architecture choosing problem.