Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Major Lag I'm not sure I understood you correctly, but running "mount -a" reports nothing from either inside nor outside the chrooted environment. Though I can tell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Lag View Post
    I'm not sure I understood you correctly, but running "mount -a" reports nothing from either inside nor outside the chrooted environment. Though I can tell you all important devices in fstab are mounted, except shm, but that's because it wasn't included inside the livecd fstab.
    If your doing this from a live CD environment open an xterm and chroot into your system then open another xterm and post the output of mount. I have had live CD and genkernel kernel versions identify hard drives as sda but my custom kernel use hda for device IDs - but I think this has been for IDE drives only.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    If your doing this from a live CD environment open an xterm and chroot into your system then open another xterm and post the output of mount. I have had live CD and genkernel kernel versions identify hard drives as sda but my custom kernel use hda for device IDs - but I think this has been for IDE drives only.
    I believe that is because some IDE drives can be run with scsi-drivers(when they are they show up as sda), atleast I have managed to do that.

Anyway, to the issue. What you want me to do is to show contents of the harddrives boot folder from the livecd terminal while chroot:ed inside the real system in another terminal?
    What diffirence does it make from just chrooting inside the system and check /boot in same terminal?

Anyway, here's the output from your instructions (the first):
    Code:
    livecd / # ls /mnt/gentoo/boot/
    boot  grub  kernel  lost+found
    Here's the list of everything mounted from livecd:
    Code:
    livecd / # mount -l
    tmpfs on / type tmpfs (rw)
    /dev/hda on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,relatime) [Gentoo Linux x86 20100119]
    /dev/loop0 on /mnt/livecd type squashfs (ro,relatime)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
    tmpfs on /mnt/livecd/lib/firmware type tmpfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /mnt/livecd/usr/portage type tmpfs (rw)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
    /dev/sda3 on /mnt/gentoo type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/sda1 on /mnt/gentoo/boot type ext2 (rw)
    proc on /mnt/gentoo/proc type proc (rw)
    /dev on /mnt/gentoo/dev type none (rw,bind)
    And here's from chroot (as before, don't mind livecd):
    Code:
    livecd / # mount -l
    /dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
    /dev/sda4 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime)
    shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
    /dev/sda4 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    Wierd sda1 didn't show up with "mount -l" in chroot:ed environment, only from the livecd. But demounting /mnt/gentoo/boot from livecd and then re-mounting sda1 inside chroot followed by "mount -l" shows sda1 mounted at boot. So no problem I guess?

Running out of suggestions ... I take it you have the scsi as well as sata drivers built into the kernel?
    It may also be worth you emerging genkernel and creating a kernel that way so you can boot the system with a kernel with everything built in. You can at least save having to chroot into the system for your next kernel build ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Running out of suggestions ... I take it you have the scsi as well as sata drivers built into the kernel?
    It may also be worth you emerging genkernel and creating a kernel that way so you can boot the system with a kernel with everything built in. You can at least save having to chroot into the system for your next kernel build ...
    Found the problem, scsi disk drivers were missing. Never realized you actually needed scsi disk-drivers for s-ata drives. I removed them while stripping junk from the kernel.
    Now everything works like a charm. I thank you for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2