Find the answer to your Linux question:
i didn't use my gentoo for a week or so, and now when i boot and enter my username and password i see something like that: login(pam_unix)[5641] session opened for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

login problem

i didn't use my gentoo for a week or so, and now when i boot and enter my username and password i see something like that:

login(pam_unix)[5641] session opened for user xxxx by (uid 0)
    login(pam_unix)[5641] session closed for user xxxx by (uid 0)

so i cannot login at all
    the same thing happens when i trying to login as root

so i've boot livecd and chrooted and i can su to root and regular user.
    tried to create test user (to be sure that's not password failure) - and the new user cannot login too.

what's happened? what can be done to fix that?

i can't remember what did i emerged last, but i remember i've played with demo version of vmware last day (which didn't work anyway..)

its possible that vmware would get involved in your sessions, but I don't know specificaly what it could have done, if a user created anew from a chrooted cd couldnt help you. Ill google around a bit, but this is puzzling. the only thing I ask is if you have any logs that might contain a little more info. (idealy from when you were playing with vm ware?)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

You can also access your logs from the chroot environment. They will hopefully help shed some light on this.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hi. it's me again
    i've just spent about an hour to fix the issue, and i still cannot login

more complete description of a problem:

1. the only (related) messages in syslog are those i sent in my 1st message (session opened blah-blah.... and session closed blah-blah)

2. system seems to let me in, but immediately kicks me out. at least i think so. i created test user (test:test), and when i tried to login - i got "directory /home/test not found, trying to login with / home" or something like that

3. vmware seems not involved - i unmerged it, and problem is still there.

4. when i issue "login" command after i boot using "gentoo init=/bin/bash" - i get the same messages about opened and closed session, so i think i messed up my init scripts

so, the question - what is the right way to find problematic script?
    going to compare my scripts to livecd scripts...
    evil..

Just Joined!

solved!

i managed to fix the problem (at least, i'm logged in and writing that from inside)

seems bash is the problem.

i was advised to try different shell and see what happens, so i used livecd to emerge zsh, and i set zsh as my login shell, an voila.

so next question - how to get bash back working? :)
    what it behaves so strangely?

Linux Engineer
    re-merge bash would probably fix it.. but to be honest, i think zsh is the better of the two shells, anyways.. the only reason bash is still on my boxen is for various scripts written in bash...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    re-merge bash would probably fix it.. but to be honest, i think zsh is the better of the two shells, anyways.. the only reason bash is still on my boxen is for various scripts written in bash...
    i really tried to re-merge BEFORE posting the 1st message here.. it didn't help..
    strange things happen..