Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am a new Linux user and really don't know much about it. I have been looking for 2 days trying to find out how to download and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux, using Gentoox on old Xbox

Hi all, I am a new Linux user and really don't know much about it. I have been looking for 2 days trying to find out how to download and install an app to open a Ms Windows program. I only have one that I want to run but it is vital. I know I need something like Wine, I just have no idea what version would be correct or where to find it or how to do anything with it.

If anyone is curious, the reason I am using an old abox is because I installed it in my car, I was able to figure out how to install Gentoox and patched a USB hub to a xbox controller plug so I now have a working keyboard and mouse, and even have a couple of slots on the hub for other peripherals. I am very interested in learning Linux, I have spent a couple days trying to answer the above question on my own, but obviously I am in over my head.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

what application is vital? perhaps there is a linux equivalent, either way, gentoo website has amazing documentation

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- A Portage Introduction

Just Joined!
    I don't think there is a Linux equivilent to this app, see website below, sorry not a link, I'm too new.

dynamicefi.com

It is a flash programmer I am getting to tune my car and it is Windows based, in fact older versions of Windows. It doesn't take much memory too run, I know the xbox can handle it. This is the only Windows app I need to run. I already have everything else setup in my car except the ability to run this app with Linux.

I have spent two solid days trying to figure it out, the tuts I have read were confusing.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

did you look at the link i posted for the gentoo handbook?

the basic idea is to run emerge wine, but there are some other things involved that I'm not willing to go into detail on as they are described very well here

Just Joined!
    I've tried to read the tut you put on there. I think I am even more confused... is Wine already in Gentoox and I have to kind of activate it? Or does the emerge function actually download the software? If so from where, and how? Which version of Wine works best for Gentoox? I'm kinda used to Windows and clicking on a program to download, then clicking on the icon it makes after it downloads to install it. This whole emerge command thing is confusing. The more I've tried to research the more confused I get. Ihave tried other Linux forums, the Xbox-Linux project and even some xbox hacksites, I'm still lost.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my thread!

it is based on what the people putting together gentoo have put into portage

the emerge command should handle everything, you just run it and it just works (tm)

linux is like windows, except you get your programs from one place (typically a repo, but in gentoo it is a ports-like tree) and don't have to scour the web for them