Find the answer to your Linux question:
I keep on getting this error when I try extracting both j2re packages. Code: tail: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1' since this will be removed in the future ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

j2re problems

I keep on getting this error when I try extracting both j2re packages.

Code:
    tail: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1' since this will be removed in the future
    Unpacking...
    tail: cannot open `+479' for reading: No such file or directory
    Checksumming...
    The download file appears to be corrupted.  Please refer
    to the Troubleshooting section of the Installation
    Instructions on the download page for more information.
    Please do not attempt to install this archive file.
    That starts after I type in yes. The error's the same on both packages, the RPM and the self-extracting package.

Chris

P.S. There is no 'Troubleshooting' page. Closest thing is a help page and it has nothing on this error.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I had this same problem with java 1.4.2. But, trying the java 1.5.0 I had no problem at all, there is actually a great walkthrough on the gentoo forums.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...build+sun+java

it was written for the 1.5.0 beta 1, but, you should have no issues adopting the technique for the full 1.5.0 release. I got it working without a hitch (except for having to modify the java-config generated source.

to make the java-config source final, do an env-update (as root), and it'll be that way every time you boot.

note ( /etc/env.d/java/20jdk1.5.0 gets turned into ~/.gentoo/java which gets turned into /enc/env.d/20java ) you may have to move files around if you modify one.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    I ended up finding that said to make a sym link between the java plugin and the brower you use (firefox)